Today I’ll talk to you about the best fire ant killer for lawns, parks, golf courses, or schoolyards.
- Do you fear that the anthills may damage your mower or just need to restore your grass?
- Insect growth regulator (IGR) baits are suitable for long-term control as they have higher efficacy.
For quick results in killing fire ants (red imported fire ant), use corn-grit baits like Amdro Pro with hydramethylnon. See the top fire ant killers.
- Ortho Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules target and kill fly-in queens to prevent new mounds from forming for 6 months of outdoor fire ant protection
- FAST ACTING: This outdoor fire ant killer will kill fire ant mounds in 15 minutes so you can get back to enjoying your lawn
- PROTECT THE GROUND: Treat the entire lawn area to protect your lawn from fire ants that may come from neighboring areas
- EASY TO APPLY: Use a drop or broadcast spreader to apply, and water in as directed; one 11.5-lb. bag treats up to 5,000 sq. ft. of residential lawn
- USE AS PART OF ORTHO 2-STEP SYSTEM: First, destroy existing mounds, including their queens, with Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer1 (sold separately); then, use Ortho Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules to control new mounds from forming for up to 6 months
Ortho Orthene is a highly potent Fire Ant Killer that will kill the colony’s queen and prevent molds from developing, both of Red Harvester Ants and Fire Ants.
The concentrate is easy to use as you’ll only need to sprinkle the granules on your lawn and you’ll not need to add any water.
Further, Ortho is ready to use and will kill the fire ants and their queen within hours. Also, do not worry about the bad smell in your lawn or fields since the fire ant killer is odorless.
Ortho Orthene has Acephate as the active ingredient that combines to form a fast-acting formula to eliminate the fire ants within hours.
- Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action kills, prevents and feeds
- Kills weeds, including dollarweed, clover, oxalis, plantain, chickweed and henbit
- Prevents and kills fire ants, armyworms, fleas, mole crickets, chinchbugs, sod webworms and ticks for up to 6 months
- Fertilizes to build thick green lawns
- For use on St. Augustinegrass (including Floratam), Centipedegrass, Zoysiagrass and Carpetgrass
- 2 shaker bags included
- Kills ants, fire ants, cockroaches, fleas and other insects
- Fast-acting granules kill insects in 24 hours
- Keep insects out – use as band treatment around house foundations and on lawns, or as a spot treatment on ant hills
- Convenient, resealable shaker bag – no spreader required
- Advion fire ant bait effective and fast acting. Combined with an alluring formulation, Advion ensures control of imported fire ants in 24-72 hours for fast colony control.
- Broadcast or mound treatment
- Recreation areas as well as institutional or private service areas
- Other noncrop/nongrazed areas
- Effective on all life stages
Advion Fire Ant Bait (with 0.04% Indoxacarb), will control the whole colony of big-headed ants, pavement ants, or fire ants (in all their life stages) within 72 hours.
Apply the bait (twice a year) directly on fire ant mounds or through the broadcast method. So, don’t allow your comfort to be disturbed by Fire Ants.
Note that since Advion Fire Ant Bait lacks IGR, it is important that you re-apply the bait in 2-3 weeks. However, contact your vet if you need to use this bait for grazing pastures for cows, horses, or goats.
For maximum effectiveness, you should use the Advion Fire Ant Bait when the soil temperatures are over 6 degrees, a period for the foraging of ants. Choose the Best Fire Ant Killer for Lawns and Big Fields.
All you’ll need is to pop the top of Advion Fire Ant Bait container. It has two sides, one with like a saltshaker opening (which I prefer using) and the other with a big open side.
So, now walk around your lawn or yard, since this is a bait and thus you don’t have to target the ant mounds. Walk back and forth pouring the bait while squeezing the bottle slightly and the baits will drop in bits as you go.
Related: Best Squirrel Repellent
- Kills the queen and destroys the mound
- No watering-in required
- Treats up to 162 mounds (twin pack 324 mounds total)
- Use Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer as part of Ortho 2-Step Fire Ant Method
- Guaranteed to kill or your money back
Next up is this Ortho Orthene (with 50% Acephate), which I highly recommend for yards and decorative plants. This product has a long residue effect, which is about 6 months.
Also, it has a quick knockdown effect (5 minutes) and hence it’s great for short-term ants control, including red harvester ants.
Ortho Orthene will kill the fire ant queen in 3 days, after which clearing the whole colony and preventing a re-infestation will be very simple.
Luckily, for this ant killer, you won’t require water for application. Simply pour about 1 tablespoon of this Ortho Orthene over about 162 mounds and you’re done. However, unlike the Advion Fire Ant Bait, you must pour the Ortho Orthene directly over the ant mounds.
Some lawn care enthusiasts swear that imitaclorprid and Fipronil are the best active ingredients for controlling fire ants in your lawn.
- Luckily, fire ants won’t detect the Taurus SC and they’ll carry it back to their nests and kill the whole colony.
- One of my friends used Taurus SC for their exterior landscape last year.
So, this product cleared all the ants but he’s said he’ll apply again in spring just to be safe.
Therefore, he reports that either Bifen XTS or Taurus SC will be a great take for controlling fire ants, nesting bugs, and wasps.
- Hydramethylnon 0.365%, Methoprene 0.250%
- Extinguish Fire Ant Bait is for use on residential property, commercial property, container or nursery stock, farms, commercial turf, pastures, and rangelands.
- For a mound treatment of Extinguish Plus Fire Ant Bait distribute 2 to 5 level tablespoons around the mound. Do not disturb the mound. For a broadcast application of Extinguish Plus for fire ants and harvester ants apply at a rate of 3 ounces per 5,000 square feet or 1.5 pounds per acre. For a broadcast application of Extinguish Plus for big-headed and argentine ants apply at a rate of 2 to 4 ounces per 5,000 square feet or 1 to 2 pounds per acre
Extinguish Plus contains IGR, which prevents fire ant reproduction, and Hydramethylnon that works to kill the colony.
- Hydramethylnon is a fast-acting chemical that will effectively and quickly kill the current colony.
- However, IGR is a slower-acting chemical that will eliminate the fire ants over the long term.
IGR achieves this by barring rebound and making the queen unproductive.
Therefore, using the Extinguish Plus bait will enable you to effectively employ the two-prong method of fire ant elimination from your lawn or big fields.
The formulation is fast-acting and will kill the fire ants within minutes or hours. Further, it will act to kill fire ants both in the indoor and the outdoor spaces.
Also, the use of the two-prong method will allow you to eliminate both the colonies that you can see and those that will be in hiding while applying the chemical.
- One application kills fire ants for the entire season
- Kills the queen and the entire colony
- Kills visible and hidden fire ant mounds
- Prevents new mounds from forming
- Apply across entire yard with a rotary broadcast spreader or handheld granular spreader
Amdro Fire Ants Killer has an insect growth regulatory (IGR) and other effective ingredients like Hydro-mechanics (Digestive Poison) that will allow you protection against fire ants all season.
Interestingly, the insects will consider the hydro-mechanics bait like food and thus take it back to their residence or sharing. Therefore, all the fire ants and their queen will die upon eating the bait.
The pack will treat about 10,000 sq. ft. killing the mold and barring any more molds from developing.
Also, hydro-mechanics will sterilize any incoming queens. This will stop or reduce the reproduction capacity of the invading colony.
- Fire ants pick up bait in minutes
- Kills the queen
- Destroys the mound
- Deep-reaching formula
- Fire ants think it's food
Ortho 0259010 Mound Bait Fire Ant Killer will help you kill the ants and their queen in just a few minutes.
Also, you’ll not need to water after applying on your ornamental plants, lawns, or trees with its active ingredient being Acephate and Indoxacarb.
The ant Bait will a few minutes and thus destroy the colony in the mound and kill the queen. Hence, Ortho 0259010 Mound Bait will look like food to the Fire Ants and thus attract the insects.
The Fire Ants will, therefore, get poisoned, the mound will be destroyed and the queen killed, which will prevent further reproduction in the fire ant colony.
Fire ants are named so due to their painful bites and characteristic red color.