- Flea prevention is essential for warmer climates such as Arizona or Florida.
But why worry about fleas? Well, fleas will carry diseases such as Bartonellosis (plus anemic and allergic reactions) in addition to being a bother to your cat. Check these top flea treatments.
- KILLS FAST: Kills mosquitoes, listed ant types, fleas and other listed insects
- QUICKFLIP HOSE-END SPRAYER: Hose-end-sprayer activates spray at the flip of a switch – just grip, flip and go
- LASTS ALL SUMMER: Controls up to 12 weeks against house crickets, carpenter ants, harvester ants, lady beetles and earwigs
- COVERAGE: Treats up to 5,000 square feet of lawn
- NO MIXING REQUIRED: Attach the sprayer to a garden hose to treat your lawn, landscape and outdoor surfaces where insects hide
Choosing a cat flea treatment product should not be based on guesswork. Even though cats take care of themselves, fleas and ticks cannot be controlled. Much like you would for a family member, consult a vet or expert before buying a low-grade solution.
Many owners also believe that having fleas is a natural part of a cats’ life, but this is not true! Cats face as much distress and discomfort as a person with head lice. Here are the benefits of choosing the right products according to your needs.
Long-Term Effectiveness – Using stronghold cat flea treatment (Amazon product), flea collars, and powders ensure that any infestation stays as far away, from your pet and home, as possible.
These products listed above have at least a month’s longevity period and require only a single application. They also ensure that fleas inside and around the house are eliminated as well. The likelihood of developing a severe infestation is kept at bay.
Labels – First, get your pet checked for unknown allergies. If your cat is allergic to a particular chemical or plant, check all the labels to ensure no trace of that element.
Allergies can be lethal. If you’re unsure about the next step or the legitimacy of a product, always consult your doctor before proceeding.
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE - Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Yard and Kennel Spray kills mosquitoes, fleas, flea larvae, flea eggs, and ticks by contact without harsh chemicals.
- EASY TO USE - Includes ready-to-use hose attachment for quick and easy application on turf, lawns, kennels, patios, and other outside surfaces. Not known to be harmful to trees, shrubs, or flowers.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS - Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural and deet free.
- USE FOR UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET - Each 32oz concentrate bottle treats up to 5,000 square feet and can be refilled with Vet's Best Yard and Kennel Spray 96oz Refill.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Reduces Risk of Disease – Ctenocephalides felis (cat fleas) bring several diseases with them. Cats can develop skin complications, nausea, lack of appetite, and other life-threatening infections if left untreated.
It also creates an unhealthy environment for people to live in, especially if you have young children. Using the right medication can alleviate the source of discomfort. Don’t forget, certain types of fleas also bite humans and cause similar distress.
Being restricted by budget is no longer an issue. There are several options within midrange brands like Vets, Advantage, and Frontline to choose from.
While for high-end brands, you may get a quicker result, they are not always safe. Understanding your budget will help you choose an appropriate product without getting too confused.
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this spray is a natural pest repellent, and kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, chiggers, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just attach directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, patios, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable plant-based ingredients. Cruelty free and biodegradable. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Permethrin-Free. Packaging may vary.
Before choosing a solution, it is imperative to make a list of requirements. What type of fleas are you dealing with? How widespread are the infestations?
Do you, your family members, or cats have any specific allergies? Are you looking for a quick solution or long-term results? What is your budget?
1. Natural vs. Chemical – As a pet owner, you may automatically choose a natural product, but there are some downsides to doing this. Patience is imperative.
Natural products take a longer amount of time to show results since they tend to be milder. Albeit, chemically infused products have a lot of drawbacks if your cat is prone to sensitivity.
Natural products may not work for widespread contamination. A harsher solution should be opted for in cleansing homes and backyards (Best Flea Spray for Yard). During this time, try and keep your pet indoors as far as possible.
- 6-month supply of advantage II topical large cat flea prevention
- Easy-to-apply and pre-measured flea treatment application tubes, fragrance-free and waterproof after 24 hours
- Advantage II large cat flea prevention kills fleas through contact, meaning fleas don’t have to bite your cat in order to die.Avoid contact with eyes or clothing
- Starts working within 12 hours and protects your cat for up to 30 days. Kills fleas in multiple life stages; Eggs, larvae and adults to break the flea life cycle
- Vet recommended, fragrance free and designed specifically to treat and prevent fleas on cats
Next up is the Bayer Advantage II, which has pyriproxyfen and imidacloprid as their active ingredients. These ingredients (Insect Growth Regulators) will prevent flea eggs from enhancing and equally hinder larvae’s development into adults.
Besides, Bayer Advantage II will also kill adult fleas. It’s only recommended for large cats (not for kittens ) due to the likelihood of developing allergies.
When purchasing Bayer advantage II for cats, bear in mind that different dosages are available for different sized cats. Knowing the right dosage and usage will keep your cat safe from any unwanted complications.
The product is packaged in a way that is easy to use. Be sure to apply the skin treatment for the most potent effect and not just to the fur. If you find that your pet becomes itchy after use, the fleas are dying and trying their best to survive. If the itching continues for an extended time with other side effects (that are very rare), be sure to call your vet.
Each dosage lasts for, roughly, a month – ranking it high in value for money. Most reviews across Amazon, Chewy, Influenster, and other forums are positive for those still unsure. So you don’t need to worry.
- Works within 12 hours
- Kills adult fleas, eggs, and larvae.
- Age Range: All Stages
- Flea, flea egg, lice, and tick control for cats and kittens
Frontline Plus, taking the top spot for cats’ best flea treatment, is fast-acting, killing both ticks, lice, and fleas. Use his spot-on treatment for cats (both indoor and outdoor cats) heavier than 1.5 lbs or at least eight weeks old.
But why the new Frontline plus? Well, Frontline Plus get extra power from the added ingredients; (S)-methoprene and fipronil will exterminate fleas in the whole lifecycle (adult fleas, larvae, and eggs) and will continue killing all month long.
Fipronil will be absorbed directly into the cat’s skin – which means that this pet medication is waterproof. But, don’t bathe your cat two days before and after applying Frontline plus on your feline friend.
First-time buyers are more likely to opt for this but remember that this is not a natural flea treatment for cats. It is reasonably priced for a six month supply and kills pests within twenty-four hours of application. Many users have recommended it for effective on-spot treatment.
The three-step process is straightforward to execute, but keep a vigilant eye on your pet so that they do not lick the medication off. Remove the tube from the packaging, twist the tip to break it off (this will create an opening), spread the fur along the cat’s spine, and apply. Apply the liquid directly onto the skin for optimum effectiveness.
Frontline or Fipronil has been said to cause cancer, but research has shown that this isn’t actually the case! Frontline Plus is harmless if used properly – according to the recommended dosage or doctors’ instructions.
Monitor your pets’ reaction to the medication, and remember, topical products like this will only be effective if the home or area you live in isn’t supremely infested. You may need to use pills for more powerful treatment and have your cat wear a constant flea collar that you can also get from Frontline.
- Midrange product
- Keeps fleas away for a month
- Spot-on flea treatment, and
- Kills bugs within 24 hours.
- It can cause reactions and Not 100% natural.
- One oral tablet starts killing fleas within 30 minutes of administration
- Tackle flea infestations fast – give Capstar and watch dead fleas fall off your pet
- The convenience of an oral tablet available without a prescription from your vet
- If your pet gets re-infested with fleas, you can safely give another dose as often as once per day
- Includes 6 doses for use with cats and dogs weighing 2-25 (11.4 mg) pounds or dogs 25.1 – 125 (57 mg) pounds
Flea collars, sprays, and other topical treatments can sometimes have a limited effect on your pet. This can result from either a severe infestation or because a product does not suit the cat. Novartis Capstar cat flea pills are the easiest to use.
For fussy pets, hide the tablet in their favorite food, and your work is done. It takes 6 hours to work on cats and only requires one dosage.
You should definitely consult your vet before administering any oral medication. You don’t want to find out that your cat has an allergy after ingesting it, do you? Most vets will recommend this because it is FDA approved, and many owners have claimed that they provide fantastic results.
One of these pills’ main features is that it provides a 24hr period when all the fleas die. Use this time effectively to clean your home, cat bedding, soft toys, and nooks and crannies to ensure that you get rid of any stray fleas that may have been untouched.
- Very cheap and readily available
- It only requires one dosage.
- Easy to administer
- Causes itchiness when fleas are dying
- Ideally works for small cats,
- Higher dosage required for bigger pets
- MADE JUST FOR CATS - Topical flea treatment and prevention designed just for cats and recommended by veterinarians
- ONLY 30 MINUTES – Fast-acting formula starts killing fleas in only 30 minutes - faster than Frontline Plus and Advantage II (3)
- FAST-ACTING RELIEF – Delivers complete flea relief in 12 hours, killing 98-100% of fleas in a controlled study (2)
- LONG LASTING – A single dose of Cheristin flea prevention lasts for up to 6 weeks -- Monthly application is recommended
- ROUNDED TIP APPLICATOR - Quick-drying, non-greasy topical solution is gently delivered by a small applicator with a rounded tip
Though the pricing is steep, it does exactly what it says it will! It is a topical flea control treatment that works in less than 30 minutes and kills almost 100% of pests. Amazing. The mild formula allows you to use it on kittens above eight weeks old.
Apply the product at the base of the neck only. This will ensure that your cats cannot lick it. Cheristin is not recommended for cats with sensitivity or allergies; the side effects may include hair loss, vomiting, and inflammation.
This works so effectively because it contains pesticides, so avoid using it on pregnant or ill cats. A single dose is enough to do the trick.
- Quickest relief rate
- A most successful brand, and
- Month-long protection.
- Very expensive
- Can cause allergic reactions and
- Dangerous if accidentally ingested by a pet.
No products found.
One of the many problems areas that fleas bring with them is that it makes our pets and homes a little stinky – it’s time to try this Honeydew Natural Grooming kit. Add to that, fleas don’t just stay on cats, but they bury themselves around our homes too!
Kill two birds with one stone with Natural Pet Spray, one of the best flea treatments for cats. In particular, this one is also a deodorizer, which means that your house is going to smell lemony fresh and be free of flees! Its mild formula is pet safe and can be used regularly for grooming requirements.
It can be sprayed on the cat’s head, torso, and legs, plus the carpets, bedding, toys, etc. Being hypoallergenic means that you will have the least amount of problems if your pet has sensitive skin. Considering all the added uses, this product is available at a steal away price on Amazon!
The citronella and lemongrass oil acts a mosquito repellent as well. Your cats can freely roam around the backyard without being distressed. Does your pet have a sensitive nose? This doubles as an aromatherapy product as well! You can’t ask for any more of a bargain!
It comes with a 100% money-back guarantee. The packaging and ingredients are environment-friendly, making it safe to use in the presence of toddlers and other pets – check these flea treatment measures and skin disease.
For a low price, Honeydew does not compromise on quality. This spray can be used multiple times a day for various purposes and thus reduces one’s expenditure on multiple products that do the same thing.
- Works for pets with sensitive skin
- Has multiple uses, including aromatherapy and mosquito repellent,
- Low cost
- Perfect for deodorizing purposes
- Natural ingredients, and
- Fails to be effective in situations of high infestation
Fleas and ticks are a common menace in any household with a pet. Consult our list of best flea treatment for cats or ask a vet for an excellent understanding.
Once you’ve gotten rid of the fleas, it is always advisable to use a flea collar (if possible) to ensure that your pet is fully protected at all times. A healthy, safe environment for our pets makes them happier and less prone to sickness.