So, what’s the best fly spray for horses even with sensitive skin, irritation, or open wounds, or those that are sweaty?
- Well, use a fly spray that’s effective and safe at the competition, on a ride, or in the barn. It must kill various bugs (e.g., houseflies and gnats) plus horse flies and be safe for humans.
Choose a brand that’ll also kill the bugs on horse boots, saddle pads, and blankets. Also, it must be safe t use on or around dogs, mules, and donkeys.
Farnam Endure Fly Repellents contain both 0.20% pyrethrins (natural) and 0.15% cypermethrin (synthetic) that will guard your horse against the terrible flies.
- Luckily, it’s a ready-to-use spray that’ll protect the equine friend against deer ticks, gnats, and flies that could transmit conditions like Lyme disease.
The repellent has RepeLock®, which combines with the horses’ hair to make the product sweat and water-resistant, prevent washing off and be more effective.
- It has an additional sunscreen ingredient that will shield your horse against dangerous rays (ultraviolet) – Fly Repellents.
Further, its continuous spray (non-aerosol) feature allows even and consistent insecticide application to offer uniform protection. You can spray upside down too at an angle to the problematic areas.
The Roll-On application technique used by Farnam Endure Fly Repellents will make it easy to apply the formula on your horse.
Also, check the best fogger for fleas. For use on your horse’s sensitive parts, the Farnam Endure Fly Repellents has a fantastic bottle with an applicator ball that will ease the application process.
The product also allows easy-pour refills with its spill-proof handle and spout positioned at the product bottle’s side.
Also, there is a smaller – 50-ounce bottle – that’ll be great for competitions and while you’re traveling with your horse.
- Long residue effect – 14 days are protecting your animals from flies.
- Useful even for rainy, humid, or wet conditions
- Won’t harm the horse skin
- Kills and controls a variety of household bugs – mosquitos, gnats, and flies.
- Has no pungent smell
Luckily, Farnam-Equine repels and kills pests like gnats, Lice, Chiggers, Fleas, deer flies, and mosquitoes, and hence it’ll be cheap to use – affordable horse fly
Farnam-Equine is made with the citronella scent that’s both loved by horses and other animals, plus it’s pleasant to most humans. Further, the formula isn’t greasy – doesn’t leave a bad residue and will not cake up on the horse’s coat.
As a spray made from natural ingredients – the spay will be safe to use on horses of different ages – from babies to aged ones.
You can use it on stables and horse barns for either Foals, Ponies, or Horses. You can also spray on doors and windows to safely repel flies from outhouses or pets.
- Budget-friendly fly spray
- Lovely smell to both humans and animals including horses
- Amazing Citronella scent
- Non-oily horse fly repellent (insecticide)
- Can be used on Foals, Ponies, or Horses
- Not highly effective
Absorbine UltraShield is approved & used by US Equestrian. It’ll leave the horse’s skin shining with its coat conditioners like lanolin and aloe. Do you know why the Absorbine UltraShield EX Always Wears Black?
Well, this product will also control flies, gnats, ticks, and mosquitos. The spray contains Pyrethrins. (0.10%), Piperonyl Butoxide (1%) and Permethrin (0.50%). Interestingly, you can also use this spray to control fleas and ticks that could be attacking your dogs.
You’ll also love its citronella scent that is pleasant for both the horse and its rider. Since it has lanolin and aloe ingredients, Absorbine UltraShield EX will offer excellent coat conditioning and act as a sunscreen for the horse.
An added advantage is that this formula also controls the horse’s ticks and leaves the animals with shiny skin, which is great for horse shows.
It’s a defensive fly control product that is both weatherproof (sunshine or rainfall) and sweat-resistant to allow about 17 days of fly protection for your horse.
Therefore, since it’ll last several days, you won’t have to reapply very often. Absorbine UltraShield EX spray (full review) is a ready-to-use and weather-proof solution for the flies and ticks that have been disturbing your Equine creatures.
- UltraShield EX has similar active ingredients to Farnam Endure. It’s great for wet conditions such as being sweat-resistant.
- Further, the bottle nozzle design is excellent and allows an even distribution of the fly control formula over the horse’s coat.
Therefore, we didn’t miss some critical body parts as the result of having large wet spots. As a premise spray, UltraShield EX will kill all the biting and crawling flies in your house or business premises.
- Long residue effect –
- Ease to use
- Has Pyrethrins. (0.10%), Piperonyl Butoxide (1%) and Permethrin (0.50%)
- Kills flies, gnats, ticks, and mosquitoes
- You’ll need gloves to use
To repel and kill horse flies, mosquitoes, consider using PIRANHA Wipe N Spray. Keep horses healthy, comfortable & smelling nice.
- The Pyranha Wipe N Spray ingredients are 15.00% Butoxypolypropylene Glycol, 1.00% Piperonyl Butoxide, and 0.10% Pyrethrins.
- It is water-resistant and offers triple-action – it is a coat conditioner (thanks to the lanolin ingredient) and repelling and killing horse flies.
Both horse owners and riders love it. If you brush the horse, this Pyranha Wipe N Spray provides some high sheen to your horse’s coat. An oil-based formula contains 0.10% pyrethrins that you can use directly on your horse to control fly sprays.
The PYRANHA spray is ready to use and has a citronella scent that will leave your horse both fresh and healthy. Notably, the PYRANHA Wipe N Spray (full review) is oil-based; it will not easily wash away from the horses’ fur when it rains.
In addition to the mild scent, it’ll give the horse a nice sheen without leaving an unkempt or greasy look.
- Has coat conditioner made from lanolin for short-hair
- Kills many bugs, including ticks, fleas, gnats, and mosquitoes.
- Oil-based formula
- Ease of application and has a mild scent.
- Offers protection for 14 days – long residue effect
- It may be allergic to some horse skins
EcoSMART Horse Fly spray is an effective and safe natural formula to repel and kill horse flies and mealybugs. Luckily, it has an amazing scent – file-fresh specifically. It has no bad chemical smell.
It uses the power of essential plant oils to repel mosquitoes and horse flies. The spray is based on all-natural plant oils that will be safe to use on your horses and dogs without leaving a severe chemical smell on their skins.
It won’t contaminate groundwater or poison fish, birds, or mammals – it’s eco-friendly. As an organic product, you should not worry about safety while using it, particularly your kids’ safety and other pets – it’s pet and kid-friendly.
It’s safe to use your home, garden, and lawn to control those filth horse flies. Further, the formula is safe for fish and birds as it does not contaminate water bodies or groundwater.
- Thus, use the EcoSMART Horse Fly (full review) to hit flies that keep biting & disturbing your horse.
EcoSMART Horse is made from natural oils blended – including peppermint oil, lemongrass oil, cinnamon oil, thyme oil, and clove oil – these will work excellently for children, horses, and pets, killing flies, mosquitoes, and gnats.
- Oil-based spray or formula and has a fresh botanical scent.
- Its chemical odor is non-toxic.
- Its formula won’t irritate the horses’ skin.
- Organic insecticide and is safe for use near horses and humans.
Espree Aloe Herbal can prevent the irritation and bite triggered by flying insects such as gnats and flies. Created from Peppermint Oil, Cedarwood Oil, and Citronella Oil, this product will be gentle on the skin but harsh on the flies.
It works great if you use it when your horse is clean and applies to stall and barn areas. However, you’ll need to apply again after about 3 hours and avoid spraying onto the horses’ faces.
You’ll love that the product has sunscreen and coat conditioners that enable you to be gentle on the horse’s coat and product against the harsh sun rays – give it that soothing & gentle effect.
To use, you’ll require diluting one part of the Espree Aloe Herbal (comprehensive review) to five parts of water. Use a clean cloth or hold the bottle about 10 to 12 inches from the animal’s fur.
- The insecticide is also easy to dilute and use, providing up to 24 hours of relief from the horse flies.
Espree Aloe Herbal is a more natural spray that’s definitely safe to use on your horse. It has natural components such as aloe vera to give the horse a healthier and shinier coat.
- A USA horse fly killer – quality spray
- It has a sweet scent and sunscreen to protect your horse’s skin.
- Contains aloe vera and essential oils
- EPA registered horse fly spray
- Budget-friendly insect spray
Stat! Horse Spray will ease the healing process of your horse’s wounds after it’s bitten by flies.
- It’ll soothe hot & itchy spots. Aloe Vera reduces pain in your horse and promotes comfort.
- HydroStat is a fungal and bacterial repellent, and hence will heal all the horse fly wounds, and it’ll repel the flies with the amazing eucalyptus.
The animals will enjoy the plant-based formula as it’ll moisturize and hydrate the skin to heal the wounds.
It’ll also prevent tail rub and mane in horses plus regular scratching and chewing in cats and dogs. It has a fantastic trigger sprayer that’ll allow you to spray even the hard-to-reach places. It will enable regrowth of hair in the horses devoid of discoloration.
On directions of usage, Stat! Horse Spray can be used 1 to 3 times for horses daily, while for cats and dogs, you’ll need to apply 1 to 2 times daily.
Also, it’ll be great for dogs’ paws when they’re hurting – it allows faster healing. It’ll finish the skin redness and will enable the hair to grow back.
- Excellent fungal and bacterial repellent
- Useful even for a horse with wounds
- Safe for a horse as its skin-friendly
ECOVET Horse Fly Spray is not like your traditional insect repellents – it’s effective yet safe to use on your equine friends.
The spatial repellent formula is made from 3 main fatty acids that are also food-grade and combined with silicone oil – it’ll prevent the horse flies from even getting into your animal’s spaces.
As the fatty acids evaporate from the horse’s skin, they’ll disorient the horse flies at varied rates in 1-3 days. However, you’ll need to reapply the ECOVET within that time – particularly if your horse isn’t sweating excessively or getting wet from a bath or rain.
- ECOVET has a musty or “traditional spray” smell with some coconut; it might be irritating or harsh for your eyes.
- Luckily, the product will leave your horse’s coat shiny and smooth without leaving behind an unattractive greasy residue.
ECOVET will only be toxic to flies and other insects. Fatty acids are common components (non-toxic too), while silicone oil is a base carrier (and inert too) used in cosmetic products for hair care and skincare in humans and equally with horses.
The fatty acids used for Ecovet are stabilized and thus won’t denature – therefore, you won’t have them rancid or damaged when you expose them to warm temperatures.
- However, avoid using a high pH since they’ll irritate the animal’s skin and equally react dangerously with ECOVET Horse Fly Spray.
ECOVET was developed through a USDA partnership aimed to create insect repellents without the incorporation of essential oils. It has decanoic acid, nonanoic acid, octanoic acid that are safe and efficient too – you won’t require to use gloves.
- Creates a “barrier” or a spatial repellent preventing flies from getting around your horse spaces
- Safe and easy to apply – you won’t require gloves.
- Safe to use or itchy and broken horse skin
- It’s in an already pre-mixed formula.
- Offers longer-lasting horse protection against flies
- Kills a broad range of insects including flies, ticks, and mosquitoes
- Won’t kill the horse flies – it only acts as a repellent
PYRANHA Zero-Bite is a natural horsefly repellent that’s made from natural extracts. Compared to Wipe N Spray, PYRANHA Zero-Bite is safer for use with either cats, dogs, or horses. The natural extracts include peppermint oil, Clove oil, and Geranio.
This product qualifies as one of the best fly repellents for horses due to its effectiveness and safety – it’s made from natural extracts.
- The insecticide effectively repels a range of pests, including mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, gnats, and horse flies.
PYRANHA Zero-Bite has a pleasant smell loved by pets and humans. It’s both water-based and oil-based while it leaves only a light residue that’s soapy – you can wipe out the residue using just a light wipe.
However, it doesn’t have a long residue effect – it’ll prevent and kill horseflies in just a few hours or only one day.
The active ingredients have a cellulose-based hydrogel, with its active ingredients being eucalyptus oil, Aloe vera, and Benzalkonium Chloride. It’s safe and will heal different skin conditions on your pets and horse: rashes, burns, scratches, bites, and cuts.
- This natural repellent will work excellently and safely even when you mist it over the horse’s head.
- Also, you can use only the horse in their stall.
- Kills a range of insects
- Sweat-resistant and weatherproof
- Long residue effect
- May be allergic
These best fly sprays for horses are effective in treating horse lies once and for all.
- Such steps will enable you to keep your horses comfortable and reduce the probability of spreading diseases. So, what’s your go-to fly spray for horses?