The sight of a rat or even its droppings in or around your home is enough to set your heart racing. Rats bring up more angst and disgust than any other pest and have been the object of disgust for centuries.
- Even though no one wants them around, rats gravitate to human dwellings, potentially transmitting deadly diseases.
- Considering the toll these creatures take on people, you must keep them out of your home.
How do you do that? By investing in an outdoor rat trap. We’ll help select the right outdoor rat trap by listing some of the best models available in the market.
In a Hurry? View Our top Outdoor Rat Traps
- Reliable And Sanitary Pest Control - Free your home from unwanted critters and keep your household secure and sanitary with the best rat trap in the market. Boasting a smart, integrated bait cap...
- Set It And Forget It - Say goodbye to ineffective, pest control methods that leave dead, decomposing mice in your home structure. Place these mice killer traps alone or in pairs near baseboards,...
- Successfully Capture Rats – No Escape - Forget about false triggers, stolen bait and escaping mice. Kat Sense rat traps feature a powerful, highly responsive snap mechanism with a sensitive pedal...
- Easy To Use Multiple Times - Unlike traditional, wood traps that are difficult to set and tend to leave foul odors and blood stains, these rat traps are made of washable material for easy cleaning and...
- Get It Risk-Free - Being so sure about the top quality and excellent performance of our rat traps, we are able to offer you a hassle-free return - complete satisfaction. In the unlikely event that...
- BARLAS RAT PEST CONTROL TRAP ⚡ the Barlas rat pest control trap is super effective and has a 100% kill rate. Featuring a highly sensitive trigger and powerful teeth to catch its prey, this is a...
- RAT AND MOUSE TRAP SPECIFICATIONS ⚡ measuring 8” x 6” x 5”, this rat trap is discreet enough to have out in the garden or on your workplace car park without drawing too much attention, yet...
- SAFE ADVANCED DESIGN ⚡ the design of our rat catcher makes it extremely safe for humans to set up and thanks to the teeth being hidden inside the rat trap, it is safe to use around pets and children...
- REUSABLE & EASY TO CLEAN RAT TRAP ⚡ made from ABS plastic, this dual entry rat pest control trap is completely washable and reusable. After use, simply wash out the rat trap, rinse, air dry and it...
- HUMANE RAT TRAP FOR ALL RODENTS ⚡ effective on both rats and mice, this rat trap is a large size and the powerful, gripping teeth inside the box have a strong grip to ensure the rodent doesn’t...
- RAT TRAPS THAT WORK - Quick and easy to set, these extremely effective pest control traps can PROTECT YOUR HOME AND YARD FROM RATS, MICE, VOLES, AND OTHER RODENTS in seconds.
- DON’T RISK RAT POISON - Rats and other rodents can destroy your home, these ultra-strength snap rat traps protect your family from their damage and disease without putting them at risk from...
- BETTER THAN GLUE TRAPS - These stain resistant rat and mouse traps can be used time and time again to catch rodents of all sizes! They are simple to clean and REUSABLE, unlike wooden traps that...
- POWERFUL RODENT KILLERS - With over 30% more force than traditional traps, a hair trigger sensor, and jaws designed to kill without breaking the skin, these rodent killers are the ultimate protection...
- TAKE ACTION NOW - Don’t wait to strike back at rodents, RATS BREED FAST, a single female can have more than 14 young in a month! These QUICK KILL TRAPS stop rats fast!
- Unique, one-of-a-kind, multi-catch rat trap that can catch swarms of rats in only a matter of hours!
- Humane live trap with no poisons.
- Catch up to 21 Rats in just one setting.
Made by Rugged Ranch, the Ratinator Multiple Catch Live Rat Trap can catch up to 21 rats in one setting. It does not use any rat poison, and the rats are caught alive.
This means that you can transport the rats someplace else after catching them. If you are okay with killing rats, you could do that too after they are captured.
Single rat traps must be emptied after every rat gets caught while this trap stays in place, catching multiple rats.
This is a major convenience, especially if you have a huge rat problem in your barn or yard.
The rugged metal construction of this trap is tough enough to keep all the rats locked in the cage until you are ready to transport them.
The interesting part about the Ratinator is that the presence of rats inside the trap won’t discourage other rats.
They will only see a small area with other rats and, thus, would fall victim to the intelligent trap.
The only downside to this trap is that you must cover it with something – like a cloth – while transporting it; otherwise, the trapped rats would go in a frenzy and may even escape.
- Can catch up to 21 rats at a time
- No poison
- Easy to set and bait
- Humane method of catching rats
- Rugged construction
- Must be covered during transportation
Related: Best Squirrel Repellent
- LONG TIME PROVEN SNAP TRAP DESIGN - Heavy duty snap rat trap with powerful spring. This long time proven construction is a highly effective solution for rat control. This trap is designed especially...
- DURABLE AND REUSABLE - Made of durable and long lasting fully galvanized metal. Each rat trap can be reused for a long time
- QUICK AND HUMANE KILL - The trap captures and kills rats quickly and humanely. Once a rat triggers the pedal,the trap immediately snaps and kills the rat.
- QUALITY GUARANTEED - No questions asked money back guarantee. Simply return the traps to Amazon for a full refund.
This pack of four classic metal rat traps from made2catch is another great option that can potentially help you tackle a rat problem.
Place them in areas around your home, and you’ll soon find a number of rats fall victim to them.
These traps are built on the classic rat trap design but, instead of wood, a metal base plate is used to make them reusable and more durable.
Tom used similar traps to catch Jerry, but he was too smart for them. Fortunately, real rats aren’t clever like Jerry Mouse, and they would surely fall for them.
These heavy-duty metal traps boast a powerful swing for humane killing action, ensuring that the rats breathe their last quickly and don’t suffer too much. Each trap is 6.6 x 3.5 inches.
Galvanized metal construction prevents the trap from rusting when used outside, while the metal base doesn’t warp like wood in humid conditions.
You should be able to use and re-use them for years, trapping and killing rats that come near your house.
Wipe the trap down with an old rag before each use to get rid of lingering odors that could keep the rats from coming near the trap.
It is worth noting that the spring of this rat trap is quite strong, so be very cautious when setting it. You could seriously hurt your fingers and hands if proper care isn’t taken during the setup.
- Solid construction
- Large size to trap rats
- Metal doesn’t warp or rust
- Can lead to injury if used improperly
- Rat trap is the original wood-based wire snap trap with metal trip petal
- Clean and quick trapping method
- Made in the USA
- Built using environmentally friendly wood harvested from FSC certified wood
Victor is a recognized name in the pest control industry, and, as such, you can expect top-quality products from them.
This original snap trap from Victor comes with a wooden base and can be used both outdoors and indoors.
It makes quick work of rats that infiltrate your home. All twelve traps included in the pack use environment-friendly wood for the base and galvanized metal for the hammer, spring, and metal.
The Victor Metal Pedal Rat Trap is very easy to use. All you have to do is bait the trip pedal with a delicious piece of cheese, pull the hammer back, and set the bar.
Be careful when doing this because you would end up screaming from pain if your hand gets caught in the trap instead of a rodent pest.
The powerful spring is strong enough to kill both small and large-sized rats quickly and humanely.
Make sure to remove the rat and wipe the trap off with an old rag after each kill to remove lingering odors.
Also, remove the bait and reset the trap to hunt more rats. Since there are 12 rat traps in the package, you can set them around your home and also inside the house to kill as many rats as possible.
- Easy to use
- No poison
- Can seriously injure hands and fingers if you used it carelessly
Related: Best Poison for Squirrels
- ✓ QUALITY & MATERIAL: The trap is made from high-quality wire. Its durable and corrosion-resistant quality is different from other brands. The wire material is lightweight. Its Use for...
- ✓ DESIGN: Our cages design is not easy to escape light-weighted material structure, small mesh openings, and the door locked tightly to ensure the trapped rodent animals no way to escape easily. But...
- ✓ INSTALLATION: You can easily installed it is very convenient. Easy to set up. Just follow the instruction manual. Detailed instruction manual with the help of pictures. By facing any problem you...
- ✓ RELIABLE & REUSABLE: Our traps are engineered to have a very high success rate. Once the pest animal is caught, the locking mechanism ensures that it will not escape. After releasing the captured...
- ✓ SAFE & HUMANE: Does not kill or cause any injury to the captured animal mouse, rat, mice, squirrel, and pets like a hamster. Easily release or free the captured pets or any animals caught...
This is another very effective rat trap that you could use for tackling a rat infestation.
The instructions that come with the product are in Chinese, but fortunately, include a diagram showing how to set the trap up and use it.
Once you have set the trap, wait for the sound to alert you that a mouse has been caught.
Since the trigger is quite far back in the cage, the trapped rat won’t be injured when the door closes.
You can transport it somewhere far away from your home or just kill it after capture.
The trap itself doesn’t include any poisons or chemicals to kill the rat – this is why it is called a live animal humane trap.
It is worth noting that the metal of the AB Trap Live Animal Humane Trap is a bit thin, so be very careful when transporting a strong rat as it could get out.
The all-metal construction of the trap ensures that it doesn’t twist or warp due to humidity when placed outdoors while the galvanization prevents it from rusting.
Make sure to wipe the trap off after each use to remove the human or rat smell coming from it, as these odors could keep other rats from entering the trap.
- Durable construction
- Galvanization prevents rusting
- Doesn’t injure or kill the rat
- Instructions come in Chinese language only
- The metal is very thin, so tough rats may be able to escape during transportation
- QUALITY RAT ZAPPER
- SPECIAL FEATURES
- SUPER EASY TO USE AND SET UP
- DISPOSE CLEANLY
- INCREDIBLE RESULTS - LOTS OF KILLY
If you want to kill rats wandering around your home via electrocution, the Pestrax Electronic Rodent Zapper is worth considering.
This effective trap electrocutes rats, killing them humanely and quickly.
As soon as a rat enters the trap, the Pestrax Electronic Rodent Zapper administers a lethal 7000V electric current to stop them in their tracks.
When the rat is trapped, a green LED lights up on top of the trap with a beeping noise.
Thus, you can then empty the trap and reconfigure it. The Pestrax Electronic Rodent Zapper can operate in both wired and wireless modes.
If you want to operate it wirelessly outdoors, install 4 D-Type batteries for power. They will give the trap enough power to kill up to 30 rats.
It is worth noting that this trip shouldn’t be placed too much in the open, as pets and other innocent targets might become a victim to it.
Consider covering it up with a firewood log on all sides. This creates a tunnel for rats to go through, which they would like more than being out in the open.
- Both wired and wireless operation
- Easy to empty
- Easy to configure and set up
- No traps to injure your hands and fingers
- The battery doesn’t last too long
Considerations When Buying an Outdoor Rat Trap
1. Type of Trap
There are different types of rat traps available in the market. You can choose between snap rat traps, electronic rat traps, multiple capture traps, and live catch rat traps.
All of these work great. If you don’t want to kill the rats and just catch them, you should go with live catch rat traps as they don’t harm the captured creatures.
Electronic rat traps and snap rat traps work quickly and kill the rat humanely, so you should consider them if you are okay with killing rats.
- If you have a major rat problem and want to catch several rats in a single setting, go with multiple capture rat traps.
Some traps also come with poison, but we advise against going for them because poison can be damaging to your health as well as other harmless creatures that may wander around your home.
Make sure that the rat trap you buy is easy to use. If the trap takes too much time to set up and is complicated to use, you would get tired of setting it up again and again.
- You could also end up hurting yourself in the process of setting up these kinds of complicated rat traps.
The trap should also be small enough and maneuverable so that you can easily reposition it.
Another important thing to consider when buying an outdoor rat trap is construction.
- The trap should be strong enough to last a long time and operate flawlessly.
- When placed outdoors, a rat trap will be exposed to foreign elements like moisture and humidity.
The material of the trap shouldn’t rust or warp in these conditions. Ideally, you should look for traps made with metal; they last longer and don’t easily get damaged from outdoor elements.
Now that you know about all these effective rat traps, you need to pick one from the list and start hunting those annoying rodents.
Catch them or kill them outside your premises to ensure that they never get a chance to infiltrate your home and cause harm to you and your family.