In this post, I’ve reviewed the best puppy shampoo for fleas. Puppies are just like newborn human babies: they are sweet but equally vulnerable. Your first task will be to feed, train, and groom your new visitor.
When finding the best puppy and dogs shampoo (either medicated and non-medicated) for flea bathing, you’ll need to appreciate the active ingredients and the benefits of the puppy shampoo.
- PEST CONTROL: Kills fleas, ticks, flea eggs, flea larvae and lice.
- FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Rich, creamy, sensitive skin formula with soothing aloe, lanolin and oatmeal.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) to kill and prevent flea development for up to 28 days.
- USE ON DOGS & CATS: Safe for use on all dogs, cats, puppies and kittens 12-weeks and older.
- FRESH SCENT: Pleasant, fresh scent.
Natural and Organic Puppy Shampoos? – Dog shampoo is a cleaning agent that is specially designed for dogs. Not all dog shampoos are made equally in terms of quality; however, they also serve different purposes.
Going natural or organic is trending these days in many aspects of life, including pet care. You and your furry friends will love natural or organic dog shampoos as they don’t feature harsh chemicals and are way gentler on the skin and coat.
You may also buy a shampoo according to your dog’s breed, for instance, the best puppy shampoo for labs or pit bulls. But natural shampoos leave a mild, nice, and natural scent, and don’t strip all-natural oils from your puppy’s skin and fur.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS – Unlike traditional flea shampoos, Richard’s Organics gentle and safe Flea and Tick Shampoo uses 100% all-natural actives to kill fleas and ticks rather than harsh chemicals. Made with 5 pure essential oils, this dog shampoo smells great and soothes irritated skin while it works hard to rid your dog of fleas and ticks.
- FAST ACTING – You will see fleas coming off your dog as you bathe with Richard’s Organics Flea and Tick Shampoo. Ticks let go and are more easily removed from the skin. For best results, work the lather thoroughly into the dog’s coat and down into the skin, moving back from the head. Allow lather to remain on the dog for a few minutes and then rinse. The essential oils are calming, and your dog will smell great.
- 100% SAFE – This Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs is sulfate, paraben, dye, and soap free. It does not contain any harsh chemicals, artificial fragrances or colors. It will not remove topical spot-on flea and tick treatments and has been proven to safely and naturally kill fleas and ticks while soothing irritated skin.
- FORMULATED FOR DOGS – Natural Flea and Tick dog shampoo is specifically formulated for dogs 12 weeks and older. The pH balanced treatment is ideal for your dog’s sensitive skin. Due to the active oil ingredients, this shampoo is not safe for cats.
- EFFECTIVE AND AFFORDABLE – SynergyLab’s Richard’s Organics pet wellness and healing products are created with premium ingredients and available at a price that pet parents can afford. We know your dogs and cats are more than just pets, because we are pet parents too.
Why use a Puppy Shampoo? – Bathing your dog is an indispensable part of proper general pet care. Whether your pet has rolled in something and giving off an olfactory smell, or you want to get rid of fleas, using harsh chemicals is not necessary.
If your puppy has healthy skin and coat, bathing serves to eliminate unpleasant odors or dirt. The vet can also recommend a specific shampoo to form part of your pet’s medical treatment for various medical conditions.
Some of the many reasons why it is essential to use a puppy shampoo include: Basic hygiene, Getting rid of germs and ticks, Maintaining skin pH; they contain a fragrance to help your dog smell fresh (vanilla, orange, lavender, chamomile, etc.), Easy lather, Helps remove loose hair, scale, and debris, Improve the dog’s hair coat shine and Ensures a healthy dog.
Remember: Avoid cheap shampoos or ones with intense perfume and fragrances as they can be too harsh on the little one’s sensitive skin. Also, stay away from medicated shampoos and first talk to your vet if you think your puppy needs one. Shampoos mostly made for puppies feature a no-tear formula that is easy on the eyes.
- CLEANS AND CONTROLS: SENTRY oatmeal shampoo cleans, deodorizes and conditions your dog's coat, and is also pH balanced. It can be used on dogs and puppies 12 weeks of age and over.
- IDEAL FOR DOGS: This rich, conditioning formula with oatmeal kills pests that can harm your pet. Ideal for dogs with sensitive skin. Not recommended for use on cats or kittens.
- RID YOUR DOG OF FLEAS: SENTRY Flea and Tick Oatmeal Shampoo for dogs and puppies has a great Hawaiian ginger fragrance. This tried-and-true formula kills fleas and ticks for up to ten days. It even kills the deer ticks that may carry Lyme disease.
- FLEAS: Fleas are insects that can start your pet scratching with one bite. They have exceptional jumping skills, leaping vertically up to seven inches to hop on a host to feed and lay their eggs — up to 5,000 flea eggs in a female’s lifetime.
- TICKS: Ticks are parasites that belong to the arachnid family (like spiders and mites) and live in wooded or grassy areas where they attach themselves to pets walking by. Female ticks find hosts to feed, mate and lay eggs upon, while the males generally occupy hosts for mating purposes.
When to start bathing your puppy – If your puppy is less than six weeks old, it is un-advisable to bathe it, as it can damage their still sensitive skin. The best approach is to go for pet wipes early, especially when the mother is not around to care for its grooming.
How often should you bathe your puppy? Short answer: Only when necessary. Long answer: The frequency at which dogs ought to be bathed vastly depends on the type of dog and its specific needs.
Some of the notable instances when your dog will require a bath are: – It’s giving off an unpleasant odor – It has acquired mud or dirt. In the absence of any of the above scenarios, bathing is generally unnecessary.
Different bathing schedules may be required for dogs afflicted with skin conditions, and your vet will advise you as part of its treatment regimen. If your dog goes swimming at a regular frequency, bathing is not often required.
- TEARLESS & EXTRA GENTLE: This luxurious puppy shampoo is tearless and pH-balanced especially for puppies' sensitive skin. The 3-in-1 formula features gentle cleansers, conditioner & detangler, plus a dash of baby-fresh cherry fragrance. It is sure to leave your puppy’s coat soft, plush, and smelling better than ever
- NATURAL & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Blended with the finest ingredients, such as renewable plant-derived and coconut-based cleansers, organic aloe vera, and vitamin E. NO PARABENS, NO DYES, NO SOAP, NO SULFATES, NO PHTHALATES, NO ALCOHOL
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE: Our products are designed with the health of your beloved, furry friend in mind. We believe the ingredients that touch your pet's coat and skin should be as naturally effective, non-toxic, and gentle as possible. This product is PH-BALANCED FOR PETS and safe for puppies over 6 weeks old
- MADE IN USA & CRUELTY FREE: We at earthbath have a genuine love for pets and concern for the environment. Since 1995, these passions have been at the heart of everything we do, from the ingredients we put into our products, to how and where we make our products, and the support we show to animals in need
- HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We are so sure you will love this product that we will refund your money if you are not satisfied for any reason
Earthbath® ultra-mild shampoo is specially formulated for your puppy’s gentle and sensitive skin – top on the list of the best puppy shampoo for fleas.
The shampoo won’t wash away other flea treatments and leave your puppy feeling and be looking fresh. The product has garnered a massive 2,314 glowing customer reviews and is widely used by dog owners and professionals.
Will not wash off topical flea applications. Soap, gluten, synthetic dyes/perfumes-free. DEA, enzymes, SLS/SLES, phthalates, and parabens-free. It’s Environment-friendly and checks the best drain cleaner.
- Naturally tearless and pH-balanced
- Baby fresh, wild cherry-scented
- 100 percent natural.
- Biodegradable and cruelty-free
- Enjoys widespread use
- Some dogs can still be allergic (eyes)
- BABY YOUR BABY - For tender new puppy skin or dogs with sensitive dermal conditions, our kindest shampoo is formulated to cleanse while being extra gentle. No tears or angry allergies allowed!
- NATURE’S BEST INGREDIENTS - Made with aloe vera extract, which smoothes the cuticle surface and seals in moisture for skin and coat; restorative rosemary, to stimulate follicle growth; and gentle chamomile.
- SAFE, EFFECTIVE, NATURAL - No masking dyes. No drying alcohols. No parabens that can mess up a dog’s endocrine system. All of the good stuff, none of the bad: that’s what Rocco & Roxie is all about.
- MAKE BATH TIME A BREEZE - Wash away a day of play in minutes. Our formula is easy to shampoo in, easy to rinse out completely. Towel dry or whole-body shake? Maybe a little of both.
- 100% GUARANTEE - We want you to be completely satisfied. We want your dog to look and feel her best. If this shampoo doesn’t do both, don’t work yourself into a lather—we’ll send your money back.
Finally, the best puppy shampoo for fleas is this Rocco & Roxie CALM that’s specially formulated with your little furry companion’s sensitive skin in mind.
The hypoallergenic shampoo features the highest quality natural ingredients.
It lies within the neutral pH range from 6-7.5, making them easy not only on the skin but also on the eyes. The product has received 210 reviews from highly satisfied dog owners.
- No tears
- No parabens or formaldehyde
- Zero artificial colors or dyes
- No mineral oil, isopropyl alcohol, or phthalates
- No known issues
- Made in the USA - Our cornflower & aloe pet shampoo is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free, PEG-80 free and is highly recommended for gentle coat cleansing to protect your puppy’s skin
- Gentle Puppy Formula – This cornflower and aloe pet shampoo is great for gently cleaning and protecting your puppy’s delicate skin and coat. The thick lather rinses off clean and keeps your pet looking and smelling clean
- Less is More - Wahl has a higher concentrate of coconut derived sodding agent, which means you don’t have to use as much as other dog shampoos. A little bit of shampoo goes a long way and provides a rich lather that’s easy to rinse off
- Allergy Friendly - Our dog icon, Rocket, was designed in the image of our family dog Cooper – a golden doodle, who has severe allergies. This is the only shampoo we have found safe and effective. He loves the smell too!
- The Brand Used by Professionals - Wahl has been serving professional vets and groomers for over 50 years. clean, condition fur & hair for a smooth, soft coat. We are a company of animal lovers that want the best for your family member
Wahl puppy shampoo is formulated with aloe and cornflower to cleanse and protect your little companion’s skin and coat.
The product also contains natural plant-based ingredients to gently cleanse your puppy, making it a top choice for shoppers.
Some of the cleansing ingredients include: – Sodium Laureth Sulfate (From refined coconut oil), – Soyamide (From cultured soy), and – Cocoamidropyl Betamine (From coconut fatty acids).
- Natural. Plant-derived
- No-tears formula
- Widely used by pet owners and professionals
- The concentrate is not as thick as you might expect
- NATURAL CLEAN: 4 Legger organic dog shampoo is a true all natural dog shampoo handcrafted in small batches using plant based ingredients like organic coconut oil, organic lemongrass essential oil, and soothing aloe vera. Concentrated - a little dog shampoo for smelly dogs goes a long way to get rid of that wet dog smell!
- GENTLE ITCH RELIEF: The perfect itchy dog shampoo, 4-Legger dog shampoo for itchy skin is easy to lather and rinse with lemongrass to naturally moisturize and maintain a soft and shiny coat without artificial thickeners that add toxicity to your dog’s bath. Natural dog whitening shampoo to brighten whites and add shine to color without any synthetic ingredients. 4 Legger is safe for newborn pups, senior dogs, your cat, and humans!
- #1 CHOICE FOR HOLISTIC VETERINARIANS AND NATURAL GROOMERS: Since 2015, industry leaders have recognized 4legger dog shampoo as the most dependable dog shampoo sensitive skin, itchy skin, and dogs with dandruff. A true holistic dog shampoo for dogs using vegan ingredients made by the industry leader in clean ingredients! Detergent free. No petrochemicals.
- ONLY 2% OF DOG SHAMPOOS REALLY ARE CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Don’t fall for common marketing gimmicks used by pet grooming brands that trick you into buying the same harmful formulations while paying a premium for “organic dog shampoo”. We proudly display the ingredients in our coconut oil dog shampoo and are USDA certified to human food standards!
- TRUSTED BY PET PARENTS WHO CARE ABOUT INGREDIENTS: Sustainably sourced all natural ingredients. We’ve dedicated our lives to creating 4Legger shampoo to extend the precious time we have with our beloved pets by reducing environmental toxins in pet grooming products. All 4-legger shampoos are backed by our Wagging Tail Promise.
4-Legger is a safe and non-toxic shampoo for your puppy. It is formulated with natural ingredients that are gentle on your puppy’s sensitive skin and easy on your hands.
It is an effective cleanser against odor and dirt and also serves to render healthy skin and coat. It contains Saponified organic jojoba, coconut, and olive oils. It also features the 4-Legger blend of lemongrass and rosemary natural essential oils.
The shampoo cleanses and conditions your puppy’s skin and coat and lends it a baby-fresh scent that lasts for a long time. The product has 550 glowing reviews from dog owners who attest to its effectiveness and pleasant smell.
✅ RELIEVE ITCHY SKIN ONCE AND FOR ALL: Have you already tried everything under the sun to soothe your furry friend's aching skin from excessive dryness, allergies and hot spots, but with no results? Not anymore! Boasting a powerful plant-based combination of healing ingredients like Tea-tree oil, Sunflower oil, Shea butter and Vitamins E and B5, this anti-itch dog shampoo will effectively relieve itchiness, bug bites and burns and keep your pup happy at all times!
✅ HEALTHY, SHINY COAT FOR THE K9: No more dull, dry fur or flaky skin! Help your dog get that luxurious, silky soft, great smelling coat that you just love to hug in 3 simple steps: 1. Dilute the concentrate with warm water (4:1 or 6:1 solution). 2. Gently massage your pet's coat for 5 min. 3. Rinse off! Free from grains, preservatives, artificial colors, soap,sulfates, artificial fragrances.
✅ 98.9% NATURAL, VET TRUSTED FOR EFFECTIVENESS AND SAFETY: When it comes to your precious four-legged pal, don't settle for anything less than the best. Other shampoos for dogs use benzoyl peroxide and harmful chemicals. We don't! Carefully formulated in the USA, this is 100% safe and gentle with your dog's sensitive skin AND fur. Vets and groomers everywhere recommend our premium quality dogs shampoo. An excellent, healthy AND natural choice for your beloved puppy.
✅ CONCENTRATED FORMULA LASTS 4X MORE: Why spend money on a new bottle of dog shampoo every once in a while when you can have this highly potent formula that equals 2 x 16oz bottles? Each spa-like doggy grooming 8oz bottle promises to last for 4x more dog baths, offering the best value for your money! This is as pure as the organic love you have for your furry pal. A treat for your pooch AND your wallet. Now you can focus more on cozy snuggles or happy walks in the park.
✅ IMMEDIATE RESULTS Don't be fooled by cheap, oatmeal dog shampoo or anti itch spray products that do nothing to soothe your dog's itchy skin. Try our highly effective tea-tree formula today to check the impressive results yourself. It's purely natural. No Alcohol. Paraben-Free. Woof!
Paws and Pals’ Natural dog shampoo and conditioner is an all-natural organic product that is easy on your puppy’s sensitive skin and coat yet effective to bring out the best shine.
The natural oils and extracts in the shampoo do not inflame or irritate you or your pet’s skin. The shampoo is specially formulated to cleanse and moisturize your furry friend’s dry, sensitive skin.
It also contains natural aloe, coconut, and jojoba oils to help relieve your puppy from the itchy and painful effects of fleas, dryness, and dander on you your dog’s skin.
The shampoo also features a sweet-smelling fragrance that endures even after rewashing. It has 1, 120 reviews from super-happy dog owners.
- All-natural ingredients
- Gentle on human and pet skin
- Certified Paraben-free
- Leaves your furry friend with a lasting sweet scent
- Artificial color
- Artificial fragrance
Can you Use Human Shampoo on a Dog?
Short answer: NO – Long answer: Human and dog skin are different in many ways. The most notable difference is its pH balance.
- Bathing washes away the skin’s acid mantle, responsible for protecting the skin’s thin topmost layer (stratum corneum) from bacteria and viruses.
- For this reason, the vast majority of soaps and shampoos are formulated with ingredients that help protect and moisturize the skin while the acid mantle gets renewed. The human skin pH is 5.5-5.6, while dogs have 6.2-7.4.
- Dogs have more sensitive skin than humans. This, therefore, means that using human shampoo on your dog strips the acid mantle and exposes your dog to parasites, bacteria, and viruses.
It also has the effect of making the dog’s skin feel very dry and kind of flaky. It may also result in skin irritation.
In emergencies, when you definitely have to bathe your dog even in the absence of dog shampoo, only use human shampoo if it has ingredients such as aloe vera, natural colloidal oatmeal, and tea tree oil.
How to Select the Puppy Shampoos?
Just as you train your dog to know the do’s and don’ts around the house, it is also essential to bath-train it. To get it right: Start early to teach your puppy through patting and stroking to be at ease when being handled.
Provide rewards for the desired behavior whenever you touch it in all the areas you will contact when bathing them.
Continue to offer tips and praise when it’s time to clean and proceed slowly, ensuring that the puppy is comfortable and calm. If there are any obstacles, resort to practicing standing with it in a dry tub until it gets comfortable being in that space.
You can also try introducing a bath after having gone for a walk. This has the effect of calming the dog as it will have expanded so much energy already.
Tips to Bath, your Puppy
Your circumstances largely influence where you can bathe your dog. If you have a large dog and want to avoid heavy lifting or your dog often tries to jump out of the water, it is best to bathe it outdoors.
This way, you have the option of using a low-pressure garden hose. Make sure the water temperature is ideal before you can proceed; otherwise, you may need to resort to using buckets or waiting until the water cools down.
If your dog doesn’t act up when taking a bath, the indoors may be just fine. Use a bathtub or dog tub for bathing your dog. Make sure to leave the tub unplugged so that it doesn’t fill up with water. Test the water temperature and place a non-slip mat on the floor before you can proceed.
Preparing your Puppy for its First Bath
When you wish to bathe your dog, it is vital not to alarm it. Makes sure that all the tools that you will need are in place and strategically positioned. You need to access them with one hand while the other is holding on to the dog.
Use a calm, encouraging voice and some treats to get the dog into position, whether in the bathroom or backyard. Allow the dog to sniff the grooming tools and also slowly get accustomed to the sound of running water and a dryer.
It would help if you first brushed it thoroughly to get rid of mats and tangles. If you can untangle any parts, it may be best to snip them with scissors. Use tweezers to remove any ticks or foxtails. Remove the collar and use a muzzle if the dog tends to bite.
Shop today for the best smelling puppy shampoo and ensure that your little furry friend is clean and protected. There are many benefits to using hypoallergenic non-medicated or medicated shampoo for your puppy.
- Apart from being the best for your puppy, staying away from harmful chemicals also protects your family and the environment.
- You can find specific options to meet your dog’s particular needs, such as the best puppy shampoo for labs or the best puppy shampoo for itchy skin.
Talk to your vet if your puppy’s skin or coat is being adversely affected by the shampoo you are using. They are better placed to look into the issue and issue appropriate recommendations.