Sand fleas are a huge problem in the summer. But don’t let these bugs ruin your vacation.
With one of the best sprays for sand fleas, you’ll get protection from those itchy bites and possible infections.
- We’ve compiled a list of the top-rated sprays for sand fleas, beach fleas, or no-see-ums.
Here’s a summary of my top spray picks. More information about each can be found below.
In a Rush? View top Spray for Sand Fleas
[amazon bestseller=”no-see-um Killers” items=”2″ template=”table”]
[amazon box=”B00DHJI120″ template=”horizontal”]
[amazon box=”B004N59OFU” template=”horizontal”]
REPEL Lemon-Eucalyptus sand flea Repellent is a sand flea repellent that relies on the oil of lemon eucalyptus, rather than DEET – and it’s thus safer yet effective.
According to the CDC; DEET and lemon-eucalyptus oil sprays appear to be helpful in killing bugs that transmission of Zika and malaria including in Africa – but make sure it offers long-lasting guard.
Ticks will not attach to your skin where REPEL Lemon-Eucalyptus is applied and they cannot walk across a surface on which an application has been made. But for pets, consider using a tick shampoo.
The best thing about this sand fleas spray is how natural it is. As the product states, it contains a blend of essential oils that kill both sand flea and mosquito pests without the use of harsh chemicals.
This product is great for those with sensitive skin! I suffered from a bad rash after using other bug repellents because they contain harmful chemicals. This one by far was the best!
- A DEET-free formulation that protects for about 6 hours
- Non-sticky or non-greasy lemon eucalyptus
- Repels insects like sand fleas and mosquitoes
- A refreshing scent
[amazon box=”B002ACMKV8″ template=”horizontal”]
Sand fleas can be found wherever there’s sand — in your backyard, on the beach, and even in some parking garages. They’re like a plague with feasts but BASF Cy-Kick is a great remedy for them.
Due to its Long residue effect (90-day), BASF Cy-Kick is able to exterminate the adult sand fleas and also the other stages as they hatch within that time.
Recently, we discussed the flea life cycle, and we would appreciate the operation of this BASF Cy-Kick sand fleas spray as it offers an extensive killing effect on the various stages.
Spraying the surfaces of your home with a fleas spray can last and wipe out, potentially thousands of fleas.
BASF Cy-Kick not only kills live adult and hungry larvae but also prevents eggs from hatching into new adult bugs.
- BASF Cy-Kick won’t stain and it’s odorless, making it versatile enough to use both indoors and outdoors. But it is best used outdoors where a sizeable amount can be applied to areas with flea infestations.
But the concentrate requires a hand sprayer to apply them, plus wear long sleeves and wear gloves while working with sand fleas sprays.
- Kills many pests including sandflies (and 50+ pests) with its Cyfluthrin 6.0%
- Long residue effect (90-day)
- Low Mix Rate
- Need a hand sprayer
[amazon box=”B0001ZWPI4″ template=”horizontal”]
Avon SPF 30 formulation uses IR3535, aloe, vitamin E, and SPF 30 to create a highly potent insecticide for sand fleas.
While Avon recommends re-applying Avon SPF 30 every 80 minutes, it may not be practical for you to do so if your plans are to spend the entire day outdoors.
If you are looking for the best sand flea sprays on the market, this is our absolute favorite for you! Our yard has a lot of gnats, sand fleas, and mosquitoes that can be very dangerous in the spring.
Do sand flea sprays work? Sand fleas live in hot, humid climates like Florida and the Caribbean so they bite and Avon SPF 30 will work well for your regular flea bites too.
I’ve been using this product for years! I think it is the best bug spray on the market. It offers excellent protection from bugs (especially in the summer) and great sun protection.
I used to get eaten up by bugs while camping or fishing, but not anymore since I bought this stuff. Plus, their sunscreen is fabulous for fair-skinned people like myself.
- Non-staining and non-greasy
- PABA or DEET Free
- Offers sunburn protection too
[amazon box=”B003FBPFJW” template=”horizontal”]
Badger DEET-Free contains natural ingredients that offer up a leafy, herbal scent that insects find unpleasant and so they stay away.
The ingredients include soybean oil, castor oil, water, wintergreen, rosemary, cedar, and peppermint.
Keep mosquitoes at bay the all-natural way with this Badger DEET-Free Spray. Made with 100% natural ingredients, this product is free from harmful chemicals like petroleum and DEET.
The sand fleas spray is also gluten-free, vegan, and cruelty-free. Sand fleas can be tough to fight, but Badger DEET-Free can make your yard inhospitable to biting bugs.
I never expected this to come in handy on my trip through the Catskills, but after a full weekend of outdoor activities in the mosquitos-filled territory, I’m glad it was there.
Not only does a Badger DEET-Free spray work well while you are in Hawaii but it smells great too! It is easy to rub on the children if you have one that you want to use sand flea sprays for.
- DEET-Free formula
- Offers 3-hours protection for sand fleas and mosquitos
- Great for outdoor adventure like sports, outdoor dining, camping, or hiking
[amazon box=”B002QS0WDO” template=”horizontal”]
BASF PT-Ultracide 671858 comes in 20-ounces and that amount will easily flea-treat and area reaching about 2625 sq. ft including on bedding, drapes, fabric furniture, and carpets.
BASF PT-Ultracide 671858 will kill adult fleas, their eggs- including sand flea eggs. They also work to prevent new ones from taking hold by eliminating larvae.
The only downside is that they have an unpleasant odor, but this dissipates soon after application. BASF PT-Ultracide 671858 is safe for kids and pets once it has dried.
Due to the wet weather conditions this spring, you may find yourself struggling with a sand fleas infestation at my home. BASF PT-Ultracide 671858 will help remove those bugs – their larvae and adults.
A one-time flea spray is not enough to eradicate the problem. In order to make an impact, you must follow package directions closely.
This includes daily vacuuming and daily cleaning of any items that are allowed so as far as possible.
- Ready and easy-to-use
- Will flea-treat about 2625 sq. ft.
- Exterminates adult, egg, plus larvae stages
- Unpleasant odor
[amazon box=”B002QS0WDO” template=”horizontal”]
REPEL Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent is a DEET-free insect repellent for fighting those sand fleas.
With an appealing lemon-eucalyptus scent, this natural alternative to applying harsh chemicals could be the perfect addition to your beach day essentials!
From my recent use, I can report that the product repels sand fleas and mosquitos for up to 6 hours before you’ll need a reapplication.
So, are you in the wilderness for a long trek? Do you need protection against bugs while hunting, fishing, or camping? REPEL Plant-Based has your back.
REPEL Lemon-Eucalyptus is DEET-free but uses Lemon-Eucalyptus Oil which is effective, odorless, and clean with long-lasting working.
Can you use Lemon-Eucalyptus on pets? Simply, No it’ll harm the pet’s eyes and stomach if swallowed – which the MSDS-305-62-July10.pdf related to the “repel-94109 MSDS”.
Which Sprays are Suitable for Sand Fleas?
The sprays prevent reproduction of the sand fleas – thanks to the aerosol or liquid formulation.
The choice of spray for sand fleas will depend on the type and how it has been mixed or premixed.
Here are the reasons why fleas are so hard to kill?
- They are resistant to insecticides
- Their eggs have a hard outer shell which protects the developing larvae inside
- Fast egg-laying and reproduction
- When humans and cats or dogs are outside, they may encounter the sand flea and it’ll hitchhike them to get into the house.
There are sprays for outside and for inside. Make sure to spray near where squirrels and other animals like birds run on the ground, which is typically near your house.
How Do Sand Fleas Sprays Work?
Sand fleas are difficult to deal with because they reproduce quickly and lay eggs that can last up to a year.
Use a spray with a knockdown ingredient attacking the fleas’ central nervous system causing muscle spasms and hinder breathing – like pyrethrins, derived from the chrysanthemum family.
Also, sand flea spray may contain IGRs for fleas whose operation is;
- Like the juvenile growth hormones that cause quick-maturing of fleas and hence hindering their molting.
- Some IGRs slow down the maturing of the sand fleas and hence they can’t reproduce
Every species of flea resembles one another and is difficult to identify without a microscope – but for now, let’s consider sand fleas and their possible sprays.
Will Sand Fleas Sprays Harm Kids and Pets?
Yes and no. Sprays can be dangerous for kids and pets if they come in contact with it before it dries.
Infants, who are not fully aware of the dangers and have a small body-to-weight ratio, may also be at risk if they come into contact with sand fleas.
Therefore, keep kids and pets away from the place where you’ve sprayed.
Applying Sprays Correctly and Effectively:
- Apply sprays during the day, when sand fleas are not active on surfaces but wait for night to come before they start feeding again- this way, it will be easier to know if your application was successful because there’ll be a decrease in these pests afterward.
- Spray only on clean surfaces or those that have been cleaned beforehand.
- Do not forget to wipe down furniture as well! Cleaning objects is essential so that no sand flea eggs get transferred from one surface onto another.
- Repeat application every week until all of the population’s die-off (usually takes about three weeks). I
In conclusion, on the best spray for sand fleas, REPEL Lemon-Eucalyptus is totally worth the price.
- It will remove that pesky sand fleas problem from your home and it has a pleasant odor so you don’t need to deal with any displeasing odors while using REPEL Lemon-Eucalyptus.