Yards create the right breeding places for ticks, crickets, fleas, and other insects. Ticks attach themselves to your pets in search of a blood meal and may often bite humans.
- Although ticks are harmless to humans, their bites can cause allergic reactions or Lyme disease diseases.
- But it doesn’t have to come to this. Get yourself the best tick killer for the yard to ensure your home is free from these creatures.
Below is my review of the best tick killers to help you eliminate ticks from your yard. Related: Best Tick Shampoo for Dogs.
- Yard treatment: kills fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and other listed insects – one bottle treats 5,000 sq ft
- Contains mylar: breaks the flea life cycle
- Keeps killing: kills fleas outdoors for up to 12 weeks
- Quick flip sprayer: just connect to your garden hose; activate spray with the flip of a switch
- Black flag yard spray is meant for use in all outdoor spaces, including yards, trees, gardens, flowers, lawns, and driveways.
- You can also use it in areas most frequented by your pets.
Black Flag will kill insects on contact due to the permethrin content and provide a preventive solution for new infestations.
This insecticide comes in a bottle, which also serves as the sprayer. It has a hose-end nozzle attachment, which allows you to connect a garden hose for quick and convenient spraying.
One 32 oz bottle is enough to treat a small yard of up to 5000 square feet. Once you spray, the insecticide remains active for about four weeks to combat new infestations.
What’s more, if it rains after application, it won’t get washed away.
- Significant tick and flea killer
- 5000 square feet area coverage
- Four weeks of preventive action
- Easy and quick application with a garden hose
- Not affected by rain
- Should be allowed to dry before allowing kids or pets out
- Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Lawn & Landscape Ready-To-Spray kills 235 listed insects, including ants, ticks, mosquitoes, fleas & spiders outside before they come inside; plus it even creates...
- KILL OUTDOOR INSECTS: Starts working within minutes to kill listed outdoor bugs, so those lawn insects won't come inside your home
- LONG-LASTING CONTROL: This insect spray keeps on killing ants, spiders (excluding black widow), and American dog ticks for an impressive 3 months
- KEEP BUGS OUT: Create a barrier that keeps insects from coming inside your house (see product label for complete lists of pests)
- EASY TO APPLY: One bottle treats up to 5,300 sq. ft., and there's no mixing or measuring--just attach to your garden hose and spray; people and pets may re-enter after the treated area has been...
If you want to keep your yard free from ticks, get yourself Bug B Gon insect spray from Ortho.
- A single application will kill ticks on contact and provide a preventive remedy for six months.
- With Bifenthrin as its active ingredient, Bug B Gon will also effectively kill over 235 insect pests such as mosquitoes, ants, crickets, fleas, spiders, and many more.
You can use it on your lawn, yard, garden, flowers, driveway, along the house foundation, and so on.
A 32-ounce bottle covers 5,300 square feet, which is way above its competitors. The bottle comes with a provision for attaching a garden hose for easy application.
Thus, there’re no tedious procedures such as mixing or diluting the concentrate.
Although it doesn’t use natural ingredients, Bug B Gon does not pose any risks to your family, pets, or the environment.
However, it would help if you allowed the insecticide to dry before letting your kids or pets into the yard or lawn.
- Six months of residual effects
- One bottle covers 5300 square feet.
- Kills over 235 insect pests
- Kills instantly
- Does not pose risk to your family, kids, or environment
Related: Best Tick Collars for Dogs
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE - Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Yard and Kennel Spray kills mosquitoes, fleas, flea larvae, flea eggs, and ticks by contact without harsh chemicals.
- EASY TO USE - Includes ready-to-use hose attachment for quick and easy application on turf, lawns, kennels, patios, and other outside surfaces. Not known to be harmful to trees, shrubs, or flowers.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS - Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural and deet free.
- USE FOR UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET - Each 32oz concentrate bottle treats up to 5,000 square feet and can be refilled with Vet's Best Yard and Kennel Spray 96oz Refill.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Vet’s Best spray utilizes 100% natural oils to kill common pests such as ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas, including their eggs and larvae.
- So if you don’t want to use chemical-based pest remedies, this is a good option for you.
- It’s a blend of Eugenol and Peppermint Oil, which are both potent instant insect killers.
You can apply this insecticide to all your outdoor spaces, including flowers, trees, shrubs, lawns, and yards. Since it does not contain chemicals, it won’t harm your beautiful flowers or trees.
It comes as a concentrate in a 32-ounce bottle, which is enough to spray about 5000 square feet of your yard or garden.
This bottle features a provision for attaching a garden hose to allow convenient spraying. It’s also available in a 96-ounce bottle, which requires a separate spray bottle to apply.
The absence of chemical ingredients makes it safe to use around your compound without worrying about your kids and pets.
- Contains natural ingredients
- Kills ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, and other insects
- Can be sprayed in a dog’s kennel
- 32-ounce bottle covers a large area
- Safe around kids and pets
- Does not have long-lasting effects
- KILLS TICKS - Kills Deer ticks that may carry Lyme Disease
- KILLS OVER 50 LISTED INSECTS - Kills fleas, Japanese beetles, mosquitoes, fire ants, and many other insects* (*See full list on back of product)
- 4-WEEK CONTROL - Contains Permethrin, a long-lasting insecticide which provides contact and residual control for up to 4 weeks of many hard-to-kill sucking and chewing insects
- HOSE END SPRAYER - Hooks easily to garden hoses providing convenient application to your outdoor areas
- MULTIPURPOSE USES - Perfect for use in yards and other outdoor areas where pests congregate, including roses, flowers, trees, and shrubs
- Permethrin is a potent ingredient that kills ticks and other pests like fleas, crickets, and mosquitoes.
- Adams plus allows you to deal with a real pest problem and establish preventive maintenance for possible infestations.
For a pest issue at hand, it’s recommended to apply Adams Plus after every 4 to 8 days. If you want to establish a preventive mechanism, you can spray after every one month.
Adams Plus is ideal for all outdoor spaces, including yard, lawns, flowers, driveways, and foundations, among other places.
The one 32-ounce bottle is enough for a 5000 square feet area. A single application will protect your garden from ticks and other pests for up to four weeks.
The hose end nozzle attachment allows for easy and convenient application.
- Efficient insecticide for ticks and other common bugs
- Hose end attachment allows the convenient application.
- Covers around 5000 square feet
- A single application lasts up to four weeks
- Requires regular application
- OUTDOOR USE: Protects lawns, vegetables, fruit and nut trees, roses, flowers, trees and shrubs
- KILLS 260+ INSECTS BY CONTACT: Kills above and below ground – kills grubs, ants as listed, fleas, deer ticks, Japanese beetles, European crane flies and other listed insects
- NON-STAINING: Non-staining to most home siding depending on age and cleanliness – see product label for details
- CONCENTRATE FORMULA: Ready-to-spray QuickFlip spray concentrate that attaches directly to your garden hose
- MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: Guaranteed results or your money back – see product label for details.
Get rid of ticks from the yard using this Spectracide outdoor insect killer.
Its main active ingredient is Gamma-Cyhalothrin, an insect killer that also instantly kills other pests like fleas, Japanese beetles, ants, and many more.
Spectracide Triazicide insect killer targets both crawling and flying pests. You can spray it on your lawn, flowers, shrubs, trees, vegetables, and so on.
Although it contains chemicals, it won’t damage your vegetables or flowers. Plus, the ingredients contained in this product are safe for kids and pets as long as you allow 2 hours drying time.
The concentrate comes in a convenient bottle, which allows you to attach a garden hose and spray without time-consuming procedures.
With the 32 ounce bottle, you are sure to treat at least 5000 square feet in your yard or garden. Following its application, Spectracide Triazicide continues to kill pests for three months.
What’s more, Spectracide gives you a better economy when you purchase a pack of six bottles. This can keep your compound free from pests for more than a year.
- Three months of protection against pests
- Targets both crawling and flying insects – Check these Fly Spray for Horses.
- Ideal for yards, lawns, flowers, vegetables, and so on
- Easy application
- Kills ticks and other common bugs
- Not ideal for rainy days
- Not for use when plants are flowering
- KILLS & REPELS. A flea and tick yard treatment and preventative, this pest-repellent spray is powered by natural essential oils and protects your pets and family.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs and people of all ages when used as directed, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed areas and environments. Just attach directly to a garden hose,...
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. Can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, patios, dog kennels, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for...
- NO NASTY INGREDIENTS. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable, plant-based ingredients. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and...
- POWERFULLY EFFECTIVE WITH NATURAL ESSENTIAL OILS. Powered by cedar oil, Wondercide is pest protection that's proven to work, especially for flea, tick, and mosquito removal. Packaging May Vary.
Specially designed for ticks and fleas, Wondercide gives you a chance to free your yard from these insect pests.
It’s a natural pest killer meant to kill and repel ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, crickets, flies, roaches, among other common bugs.
Cedar oil is the main active ingredient present in this pest killer. When applied on the lawn, Wondercide kills adult ticks, including their eggs, nymphs, and larvae.
Thus you have a chance of eliminating a whole population of ticks. It will also repel snakes from your yard.
It comes with a ready to spray bottle, which allows you to attach a garden hose and spray without tedious procedures.
With the 32 fl oz bottle, you can treat at least 5000 square feet of your yard. You can also use Wondercide to treat your flowers, vegetables, lawn, patios, along brick walls, and so on.
To kill all the present ticks, apply Wondercide at least two times within a span of 7 to 10 days. However, for a continuous elimination and prevention remedy, you can spray after 30 to 45 days.
Being a natural pest killer does not pose any risk to people, animals, or pets such as dogs and cats. Since it is biodegradable, it won’t cause any harm to the environment.
- 100% natural
- Easy to apply using the hose nozzle attachment
- Kills and repels ticks, fleas, and other common bugs
- Repels snakes
- Safe for people, animals, pets, and the environment
- Lasts only a short time. So, you have to apply regularly if used for the prevention
- INSECT KILLER: Army worm killer. Also kills listed surface insects including grubs, ants, ticks and more in 24 hours
- 3 MONTH PROTECTION: Kills listed soil insects for up to 3 months
- USE ON: Soil and turf lawns and around the home
- PLUS MOSQUITO KILLER: Kills mosquitos in addition to 30 other outdoor pests
- COVERAGE AREA: Treats up to 5,334 square feet
No tick will escape the effects of this advanced insect killer formulation.
Designed for outdoor spaces, this product will also kill other pests, including fleas, ants, crickets, mosquitoes, and many more.
Its two-way action kills pests both on the surface and in the soil. That makes it an effective remedy for most of the common outdoor bugs.
- The potent formulation kills insects within 24 hours. Plus, its three months residual effect eliminates the need for regular spraying.
- The hose end nozzle attachment gives you convenience and saves you time when spraying.
When the garden hose is attached, water mixes with the insecticide as it comes out of the nozzle. This nozzle is designed so as not to allow any spillage on your hands or body.
It’s available in a 32-ounce bottle, which gives you up to 5000 square feet of coverage. It can be used to treat most outdoor spaces, including lawns, yards, gardens, sidewalks, and patios, among other places.
What’s more, when you spray in your compound, kids and pets can play around after it has dried.
- Up to 3 months residual activity
- Can be sprayed directly using a garden hose
- Ideal for pests on the surface and in the soil
- One bottle covers 5000 square feet
- Might take longer to dry
How to Choose the Best Tick Killer for Yard
Besides the reviews, there are certain criteria you can follow to help you choose the best tick killer for your yard. These include:
The most crucial factor to consider is the effectiveness of the product in eliminating ticks. An effective tick killer will kill them on contact or within 24 hours.
It is pointless to purchase a product only to realize that ticks crawl around after its application.
Whether you want a chemical-based or natural insecticide, ensure that kills instantly or after a short time.
A product that kills other insect pests apart from ticks eliminates the need for acquiring additional products to do the job.
2. Area coverage
To get good value for your money, get a product that covers a large area per bottle or container.
Getting a value pack eliminates the need for repurchasing, thus saving you money spent on tick eradication.
3. Residual Effect
Regular application of insecticides is not only tedious but may also affect your flowers or vegetables.
- However, a product that remains active and kills ticks will relieve you from the regular application for a prolonged period.
- Also, it increases the probability of eliminating ticks that come to the treated area after spraying.
You will realize that most chemical-based products have more prolonged residual effects compared to natural products.
4. Ease of Use
An easy-to-use product saves you time and energy. I recommend the self-mixing bottle, which is compatible with a garden hose.
In this setup, the insecticide automatically mixes with water as it rushes out of the nozzle. Thus you won’t have to mix or dilute the concentrate manually.
Last but not least is the safety of the product to your family and pets. Some of the most effective products contain chemical ingredients that may pose a danger to your kids or pets.
So, it’s advisable to choose a product with less concentration of these ingredients to ensure your kid’s or pets’ safety.
Also, consider a product that is safe for the environment. It should have less impact on water resources and aquatic life.
After going through the different products and buyers’ guides now, you know what you to expect when searching for the right tick killer.
The products I have reviewed come from reputable companies and have proven to be effective tick killers for many years.
So you can choose your product depending on your preferences and budget. You can also choose between chemical-based or natural products.