When it comes to fighting tick infestations in your yard, having the right tick killer is important. Ticks will hitchhike humans and pets, sucking their blood, and can transmit diseases such as anaplasmosis and Lyme disease.
- So, protecting your family and pets from the dangers of tick-borne illnesses or allergic reactions is paramount, and effectively addressing tick infestations in your yard is a crucial step toward achieving that goal.
In this article, I’ll explore the best tick killer for your yard such as Ortho-Home Defense which will enable you to reclaim your outdoor space from these bugs.
In a hurry? Check these top tick killers
- Rockwell Labs EVMT016 EcoVia MT Tick & Mosquito Control
Temprid FX Insecticide 8ml – 2 Bottles
[amazon bestseller=”Best Tick Killer for Yard” items=”2″ template=”table”]
In-depth Review: 7 Best Tick Killers for Yard 2023
[amazon box=”B0882HFCJP” template=”horizontal”]
Rockwell Labs EVMT016 is a botanical (concentrated and natural) insecticide that’ll kill ticks, flies, and mosquitos alike.
- Its active ingredients are Lemongrass oil (7.9%), 2-Phenylethyl propionate (10.5%), Clove oil (13.2%), and Citronella oil (10.5%).
The rapidly acting formula will kill any ticks that are around while also repelling any that may come over – it’ll also repel the flies and mosquitoes for a number of weeks.
The tick killer will adhere to foliage and leaves – thanks to it being oil-based and thus will be more effective for bug control compared to the synthetic alternatives.
- Rockwell Labs EVMT016 is equally safe for controlling ticks and mosquitos even in homes that have pets and kids.
You may apply the tick killer using a fogger, compressed air sprayer, or mist blower and so it’ll be highly adaptable for a variety of outdoor settings.
- Besides, you’ll require to re-apply the Rockwell Labs EVMT016 within 30 days so you’ll achieve top effectiveness.
[amazon box=”B001JHPK58″ template=”horizontal”]
ZOECON Petcor 2 is an effective solution to control fleas and ticks to protect your kittens, puppies, cats, and dogs in outdoor spaces including the yard.
- The tick-killer spray has Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) that will kill both adult ticks and fleas while also their larvae and eggs.
The main ingredients in ZOECON Petcor 2 are 1.75% Piperonyl butoxide, 0.27% (S)-Methoprene, and 0.50% Etofenprox – which allows the extermination of adult or larvae or eggs of the ticks and fleas.
The spray will thus effectively break the life cycle of the ticks in your yard or home. Further, ZOECON Petcor 2 will be safe to use around puppies and dogs.
[amazon box=”B071XPK8M8″ template=”horizontal”]
- Black flag yard spray is meant for use in all outdoor spaces, including yards, trees, gardens, flowers, lawns, and driveways.
- You can also use it in areas most frequented by your pets.
Black Flag will kill insects on contact due to the permethrin content and provide a preventive solution for new infestations.
This insecticide comes in a bottle, which also serves as the sprayer. It has a hose-end nozzle attachment, which allows you to connect a garden hose for quick and convenient spraying.
One 32 oz bottle is enough to treat a small yard of up to 5000 square feet. Once you spray, the insecticide remains active for about four weeks to combat new infestations.
What’s more, if it rains after application, it won’t get washed away.
- Significant tick and flea killer
- 5000 square feet area coverage
- Four weeks of preventive action
- Easy and quick application with a garden hose
- Not affected by rain
- Should be allowed to dry before allowing kids or pets out
[amazon box=”B01JIRKIRK” template=”horizontal”]
If you want to keep your yard free from ticks, get yourself Bug B Gon insect spray from Ortho.
- A single application will kill ticks on contact and provide a preventive remedy for six months.
- With Bifenthrin as its active ingredient, Bug B Gon will also effectively kill over 235 insect pests such as mosquitoes, ants, crickets, fleas, spiders, and many more.
You can use it on your lawn, yard, garden, flowers, driveway, along the house foundation, and so on.
A 32-ounce bottle covers 5,300 square feet, which is way above its competitors. The bottle comes with a provision for attaching a garden hose for easy application.
Thus, there’re no tedious procedures such as mixing or diluting the concentrate.
Although it doesn’t use natural ingredients, Bug B Gon does not pose any risks to your family, pets, or the environment.
However, it would help if you allowed the insecticide to dry before letting your kids or pets into the yard or lawn.
- Six months of residual effects
- One bottle covers 5300 square feet.
- Kills over 235 insect pests
- Kills instantly
- Does not pose a risk to your family, kids, or environment
Related: Best Tick Collars for Dogs
[amazon box=”B00393HSLY” template=”horizontal”]
Vet’s Best Spray utilizes 100% natural oils to kill common pests such as ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas, including their eggs and larvae.
- So if you don’t want to use chemical-based pest remedies, this is a good option for you.
- It’s a blend of Eugenol and Peppermint Oil, which are both potent instant insect killers.
You can apply this insecticide to all your outdoor spaces, including flowers, trees, shrubs, lawns, and yards. Since it does not contain chemicals, it won’t harm your beautiful flowers or trees.
It comes as a concentrate in a 32-ounce bottle, which is enough to spray about 5000 square feet of your yard or garden.
This bottle features a provision for attaching a garden hose to allow convenient spraying. It’s also available in a 96-ounce bottle, which requires a separate spray bottle to apply.
The absence of chemical ingredients makes it safe to use around your compound without worrying about your kids and pets.
- Contains natural ingredients
- Kills ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, and other insects
- Can be sprayed in a dog’s kennel
- 32-ounce bottle covers a large area
- Safe around kids and pets
- Does not have long-lasting effects
[amazon box=”B001OVGIUU” template=”horizontal”]
- Permethrin is a potent ingredient that kills ticks and other pests like fleas, crickets, and mosquitoes.
- Adams Plus allows you to deal with a real pest problem and establish preventive maintenance for possible infestations.
For a pest issue at hand, it’s recommended to apply Adams Plus every 4 to 8 days. If you want to establish a preventive mechanism, you can spray after every month.
Adams Plus is ideal for all outdoor spaces, including yards, lawns, flowers, driveways, and foundations, among other places.
The one 32-ounce bottle is enough for a 5000 square feet area. A single application will protect your garden from ticks and other pests for up to four weeks.
The hose end nozzle attachment allows for easy and convenient application.
- Efficient insecticide for ticks and other common bugs
- Hose end attachment allows the convenient application.
- Covers around 5000 square feet
- A single application lasts up to four weeks
- Requires regular application
[amazon box=”B002ITJH82″ template=”horizontal”]
Get rid of ticks from the yard using this Spectracide outdoor insect killer.
Its main active ingredient is Gamma-Cyhalothrin, an insect killer that also instantly kills other pests like fleas, Japanese beetles, ants, and many more.
Spectracide Triazicide insect killer targets both crawling and flying pests. You can spray it on your lawn, flowers, shrubs, trees, vegetables, and so on.
Although it contains chemicals, it won’t damage your vegetables or flowers. Plus, the ingredients contained in this product are safe for kids and pets as long as you allow 2 hours of drying time.
The concentrate comes in a convenient bottle, which allows you to attach a garden hose and spray without time-consuming procedures.
With the 32-ounce bottle, you are sure to treat at least 5000 square feet in your yard or garden. Following its application, Spectracide Triazicide continues to kill pests for three months.
What’s more, Spectracide gives you a better economy when you purchase a pack of six bottles. This can keep your compound free from pests for more than a year.
- Three months of protection against pests
- Targets both crawling and flying insects – Check these Fly sprays for Horses.
- Ideal for yards, lawns, flowers, vegetables, and so on
- Easy application
- Kills ticks and other common bugs
- Not ideal for rainy days
- Not for use when plants are flowering
[amazon box=”B01FWRX2NM” template=”horizontal”]
Specially designed for ticks and fleas, Wondercide gives you a chance to free your yard from these insect pests.
It’s a natural pest killer meant to kill and repel ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, crickets, flies, roaches, among other common bugs.
Cedar oil is the main active ingredient present in this pest killer. When applied on the lawn, Wondercide kills adult ticks, including their eggs, nymphs, and larvae.
Thus you have a chance of eliminating a whole population of ticks. It will also repel snakes from your yard.
It comes with a ready-to-spray bottle, which allows you to attach a garden hose and spray without tedious procedures.
With the 32 fl oz bottle, you can treat at least 5000 square feet of your yard. You can also use Wondercide to treat your flowers, vegetables, lawn, patios, brick walls, and so on.
To kill all the present ticks, apply Wondercide at least two times within a span of 7 to 10 days. However, for a continuous elimination and prevention remedy, you can spray after 30 to 45 days.
Being a natural pest killer does not pose any risk to people, animals, or pets such as dogs and cats. Since it is biodegradable, it won’t cause any harm to the environment.
- 100% Natural
- Easy to apply using the hose nozzle attachment
- Kills and repels ticks, fleas, and other common bugs
- Repels snakes
- Safe for people, animals, pets, and the environment
- Lasts only a short time. So, you have to apply regularly if used for the prevention
[amazon box=”B000BPD9M0″ template=”horizontal”]
No tick will escape the effects of this advanced insect killer formulation.
Designed for outdoor spaces, this product will also kill other pests, including fleas, ants, crickets, mosquitoes, and many more.
Its two-way action kills pests both on the surface and in the soil. That makes it an effective remedy for most of the common outdoor bugs.
- The potent formulation kills insects within 24 hours. Plus, its three months residual effect eliminates the need for regular spraying.
- The hose end nozzle attachment gives you convenience and saves you time when spraying.
When the garden hose is attached, water mixes with the insecticide as it comes out of the nozzle. This nozzle is designed so as not to allow any spillage on your hands or body.
It’s available in a 32-ounce bottle, which gives you up to 5000 square feet of coverage. It can be used to treat most outdoor spaces, including lawns, yards, gardens, sidewalks, and patios, among other places.
What’s more, when you spray in your compound, kids and pets can play around after it has dried.
- Up to 3 months of residual activity
- Can be sprayed directly using a garden hose
- Ideal for pests on the surface and in the soil
- One bottle covers 5000 square feet
- Might take longer to dry
How to Choose the Best Tick Killer for Yard
Besides the reviews, there are certain criteria you can follow to help you choose the best tick killer for your yard. These include:
The most crucial factor to consider is the effectiveness of the product in eliminating ticks. An effective tick killer will kill them on contact or within 24 hours.
It is pointless to purchase a product only to realize that ticks crawl around after its application.
Whether you want a chemical-based or natural insecticide, ensure that kills instantly or after a short time.
A product that kills other insect pests apart from ticks eliminates the need for acquiring additional products to do the job.
2. Area coverage
To get good value for your money, get a product that covers a large area per bottle or container.
Getting a value pack eliminates the need for repurchasing, thus saving you money spent on tick eradication.
3. Residual Effect
Regular application of insecticides is not only tedious but may also affect your flowers or vegetables.
- However, a product that remains active and kills ticks will relieve you from the regular application for a prolonged period.
- Also, it increases the probability of eliminating ticks that come to the treated area after spraying.
You will realize that most chemical-based products have more prolonged residual effects compared to natural products.
4. Ease of Use
An easy-to-use product saves you time and energy. I recommend the self-mixing bottle, which is compatible with a garden hose.
In this setup, the insecticide automatically mixes with water as it rushes out of the nozzle. Thus you won’t have to mix or dilute the concentrate manually.
Last but not least is the safety of the product for your family and pets. Some of the most effective products contain chemical ingredients that may pose a danger to your kids or pets.
So, it’s advisable to choose a product with less concentration of these ingredients to ensure your kid’s or pets’ safety.
Also, consider a product that is safe for the environment. It should have less impact on water resources and aquatic life.
After going through the different products and buyers’ guides now, you know what to expect when searching for the right tick killer.
The products I have reviewed come from reputable companies and have proven to be effective tick killers for many years.
So you can choose your product depending on your preferences and budget. You can also choose between chemical-based or natural products.