Hugging and interacting with your dog provides a relieving experience for many people. Ticks and mites cause diseases like skin lesions or blood depletion, or allergic reactions in dogs and humans.
- But not when your dog is infested with parasites such as ticks, fleas, among others.
- Luckily, there’re effective shampoos you can use to kill and repel ticks from your dog.
So, which are the best tick shampoos for dogs? After intense research, I came up with seven products with proven effectiveness for eradicating ticks from dogs. See these Tick Shampoo.
- KILLS ADULT FLEAS & FLEA EGGS - Provides flea treatment, killing adult fleas and flea eggs on your dog or cat to prevent reinfestation.
- KILLS TICKS - Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo With Precor kills ticks on contact.
- KILLS LICE - Lice travel on pets, too, and Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo With Precor kills lice on contact.
- SENSITIVE SKIN FORMULA - Formulated with soothing aloe vera, lanolin, coconut extract, and oatmeal makes it paw-fect for pets with sensitive skin.
- CONDITIONS AND RESTORES SHINE - Leaves your pet’s coat soft, shiny, and manageable. And very snuggly.
Any professional pest exterminator will recommend this shampoo for eradicating ticks from dogs.
- Grooming your dog with this shampoo will kill ticks and other parasites while removing dirt and dandruff.
- The main active ingredient in this shampoo is pyrethrin, a very efficient insect killer.
Other ingredients present in this shampoo include aloe, oatmeal, lanolin, and coconut extract.
The purpose of aloe is to provide a soothing sensation to ease the irritation and itchiness caused by ticks.
- Coconut and lanolin are both popular skin ingredients that will help in moisturizing your dog’s skin.
- Adams Plus shampoo also acts as tick a repeller, thanks to the pyrethrin content.
It has a residue effect of about 28 days, meaning one treatment will go a long way.
- Kills and repels ticks and fleas, including eggs and larvae
- Effective for 28 days
- Soothes and moisturizes your dog’s skin
- Can be applied as a concentrated or dilute shampoo
- Ideal for dogs and cats
- Should not be used near the pet eyes
- ADVANCED STRENGTH - 2X flea killing effectiveness. Kills fleas, flea larva, flea eggs, and ticks on contact and cleans and deodorizes your dog’s coat.
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE -Each active essential oil is 100% certified natural for an effective solution you can trust.
- VETERINARIAN FORMULATED - Formulated specifically for dogs with natural oils like Rosemary and Peppermint to kill fleas on contact.
- SAFE TO USE FOR DOGS: Formulated for dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older when used as directed.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Vet’s shampoo will readily kill ticks and alleviate irritation or itchiness resulting from these bites.
- It contains powerful natural ingredients, skin soothers, and moisturizers.
- D-limonene and tea tree oil are the main ingredients that kill and repel ticks.
D-limonene is extracted from citrus and effectively kills ticks, including their eggs and larvae – to prevent Lyme borreliosis in dogs.
Other ingredients present in this shampoo include oatmeal, neem oil, and aloe. These are EPA-approved ingredients and will help ease irritation and moisturize your pet’s skin.
Vet shampoo also cleans out allergens such as dandruff on the pet’s skin or fur to relieve the animal from allergy itchiness.
Since it does not contain chemicals, it won’t cause itchiness or irritation on the pet’s skin.
You can use it on adult dogs and puppies up to twelve weeks old. Other than ticks, Vet’s shampoo also kills and repels fleas among other parasites – for proper sleep, use the best dog beds.
- Kills ticks and fleas, including eggs and larvae
- Contains natural ingredients
- Removes allergens such as dandruff
- Can be used with other parasite control product
- Does not lather quickly
- MAXIMUM FLEA & TICK CONTROL – With up to 3x more active ingredients, this flea and tick shampoo is formulated with pyrethrum – a natural insecticide – to kill and control fleas and ticks...
- WORKS FAST – Give your pet relief from symptoms including droppings/flea dirt in dog’s coat, allergic dermatitis, excessive scratching, licking or biting at skin, hair loss, tapeworms and pale...
- SOAP AND PARABEN FREE – This flea and tick shampoo for dogs and cats is paraben and soap-free. It contains no harsh soaps or damaging detergents, only the gentlest naturally derived cleansers...
- FORMULATED FOR PETS – This pet shampoo is safe for dogs, cats, ferrets and horses 12 weeks & older. This pH balanced treatment is ideal for your dog’s skin as human shampoos are formulated at a...
- EFFECTIVE & AFFORDABLE – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care premium medicated products are created with veterinary-grade ingredients, available at an affordable price. We know dogs and cats are more...
- Effective: Kills adult fleas, ticks, and lice
- Dogs, Cats, Puppies, Kittens: Sensitive skin formula shampoo for soft, shining, manageable coat
- Safe: Pet shampoo enriched with natural ingredients such as oatmeal, lanolin, aloe; keeps fur silky
- Veterinary Recommended: Breaks the flea life cycle if combined with registered treatments
- Our Story: Since 1978, we have strived for excellence in product quality and improving animal health
Mycodex P3 will effectively eradicate ticks and fleas from your dogs and cats.
Armed with a powerful active ingredient like pyrethrin, this shampoo kills ticks and fleas on contact, thus relieving your pet from frequent bites.
Though not a natural shampoo, it won’t irritate sensitive skin. The presence of aloe vera, coconut oil extract, and lanolin helps in soothing and moisturizing the skin to prevent itching or irritation.
Mycodex P3 is a concentrated shampoo with triple-action capability. It lathers easily and heavily to allow the ingredients to penetrate through the animal’s coat.
Apart from killing parasites on the dog’s body, it will also eliminate scales and dandruff.
With this flea and tick shampoo, your dog or cat will be protected from ticks and fleas for about one week.
Thus, it’s recommended to wash your dog once a week to keep ticks and fleas at bay. The light fragrance from this shampoo takes away the foul odor from dogs’ fur and skin.
- Kills ticks and fleas on contact
- Ideal for sensitive skins
- Contains soothing and moisturizing ingredients
- Nice fragrance
- Only one-week protection
- A CLEAN START. Powered by natural essential oils, this shampoo bar is a perfect first step in your skin protection plan and will wash away dirt and grime. Citronella cleanses your pet's skin while...
- GENTLE ON PETS & EFFECTIVE. Whether playing in the yard or going on a hike, dirty pets have met their match. This premium gentle shampoo bar will help give your cat or dog clean, healthy skin, and a...
- LUSH LATHER POWERED BY COCONUT OIL. Lathers great for a super-sudsy wash and rinses well. Powered by natural essential oils, this plant-based dog shampoo bar is free of artificial colors, fragrances,...
- FAST & EASY-TO-USE. Much easier to use than liquid shampoo when trying to cleanse a wriggling pet, this dog and cat shampoo bar goes on easily and washes out in half the time. Make bath time more...
- LONG-LASTING. This vegan pet soap bar lasts 5 times longer than 16 oz liquid shampoo, and produces no plastic waste! Each shampoo bar comes with a natural cedarwood holder. Made in the USA from...
Most shampoos come in liquid form. But here is a solid shampoo that will effectively eradicate and repel ticks from your dog.
Available as bar soap, Wondercide shampoo contains several organic ingredients whose combination helps keep ticks and fleas at bay.
Its ability to kill and repel parasites emanates from the presence of geranium oil and citronella oil. The coconut oil assists in lathering to expose the skin and fur to the anti-parasite ingredients.
- Also included are soothing and moisturizing ingredients such as aloe vera, shea butter, vitamin E, olive oil, and honey.
- The absence of harsh chemicals makes it a safe product for treating your dog against ticks and fleas.
You can use it on all dogs and cats regardless of age. Unlike chemical pesticides, they won’t cause rashes or itchiness immediately after treatment.
Being a solid shampoo, it will give you more washes than liquid shampoos. The 4-once bar soap lasts up to a dozen washes. Plus, it is easier to use on a wriggling pet than liquid shampoos.
- Natural ingredients
- Gentle on your pet even with repeated use
- Effectively kills and repels ticks and fleas.
- Food-grade ingredients
- Easy to apply on a wriggling pet
- Inferior to chemical-based shampoos
- CLEANS AND CONTROLS: SENTRY oatmeal shampoo cleans, deodorizes and conditions your dog's coat, and is also pH balanced. It can be used on dogs and puppies 12 weeks of age and over.
- IDEAL FOR DOGS: This rich, conditioning formula with oatmeal kills pests that can harm your pet. Ideal for dogs with sensitive skin. Not recommended for use on cats or kittens.
- RID YOUR DOG OF FLEAS: SENTRY Flea and Tick Oatmeal Shampoo for dogs and puppies has a great Hawaiian ginger fragrance. This tried-and-true formula kills fleas and ticks for up to ten days. It even...
- FLEAS: Fleas are insects that can start your pet scratching with one bite. They have exceptional jumping skills, leaping vertically up to seven inches to hop on a host to feed and lay their eggs —...
- TICKS: Ticks are parasites that belong to the arachnid family (like spiders and mites) and live in wooded or grassy areas where they attach themselves to pets walking by. Female ticks find hosts to...
Sentry provides an affordable yet powerful remedy for ticks and fleas in dogs.
- Its ability to kill both adult ticks and their eggs gives you the possibility of eradicating an infestation.
- With a residual effect of up to 10 days, this shampoo acts continuously on ticks that keep coming back to your dogs.
It contains oatmeal, a popular cleanser, and a deodorizer. This helps in removing scales and dandruff, which cause allergic reactions to your dog.
- Also, sentry shampoo has a balanced PH to prevent itching or irritation on your dog’s skin.
- Unlike many tick shampoos in the market, a sentry can be used on adult dogs and 12 weeks old puppies.
However, its usage on pregnant, sick, or nursing dogs should be done with a vet’s consent.
Washing your dogs with Sentry shampoo gives them a shiny coat and a pleasant Hawaiian ginger fragrance.
- Kills ticks and fleas
- Removes allergens such as dandruff
- Has a soothing and gentle sensation on pet’s skin
- Balanced PH
- Requires a number of washes for effective results
- Cleansing, citrus-scented shampoo kills fleas and ticks through contact
No ticks or fleas can resist the powerful anti-parasite ingredients contained in this Hartz UltraGuard shampoo.
Phenothrin, the active ingredient in this shampoo, kills fleas, ticks, and other parasites with a single touch.
While some powerful shampoos might cause dangerous reactions to your dog’s skin, Hartz UltraGuard exhibits a soothing sensation even on damaged skin.
Thus you can wash your pet regularly with this shampoo without causing irritation or itchiness on their skin.
Hartz UltraGuard also helps clean any scaling and dandruff to free the animal from possible allergens.
- Plus, it softens the fur to give your pet a shiny and healthier appearance.
- The only setback with this product is that it won’t kill the eggs or larvae.
So it would help if you used it alongside other remedies to control an infestation. Also, it doesn’t have a long residual effect, meaning you need to use it regularly.
It’s only recommended to use shampoo on adult dogs and six-month-old puppies. The presence of phenothrin makes it dangerous to young dogs and felines.
What’s more, it’ll also kill other parasites, including lice.
- Kills ticks, lice, fleas, and other parasites on contact
- Does not irritate the skin
- Soothes and reliefs damaged skin.
- Can be used on six months puppies
- Appealing scent
- Does not kill eggs and larvae
- Not ideal for felines
- Proudly Made in USA - Vet formulated and manufactured in Los Angeles, CA USA without sacrificing vegan and organic principles or quality
- 6-in-1 Oatmeal Pet Shampoo & Conditioner - reduced shedding – anti itch, smelly odor control, moisturizes dry skin, conditions & detangles
- Naturally Medicated Formula - Made with all natural ingredients plus pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free Best for itching, deodorizing, shedding control, allergies, sensitive skin.
- For Dogs & Cats - Our tear-free formula is the result of natural oils, vitamins, oatmeal, aloe vera, turmeric & sweet basil extracts that do not irritate or inflame your dog's eyes or nose
- 20oz Bottle with Pump - Less is more, Paws & Pals has a higher concentrate of oatmeal extract which means you won't have to use as much as other dog shampoos
The safest way to remove ticks and fleas from your dogs is to use a free product from harmful chemicals.
The natural ingredients contained in the Paws & Pals dog shampoo will readily kill ticks and prevent them from coming to your four-legged friend.
These ingredients include aloe vera, cedarwood, rosemary, oatmeal, and clove, among others. These natural extracts act both as shampooing and conditioning agents.
- As a shampoo, Paws & Pals cleans the animal’s fur to give it a shiny appearance.
- As a conditioner, it moisturizes and soothes the skin to ease the irritation and itchiness caused by tick and flea bites.
You can use it on dogs and puppies of all ages without worrying about their health. It’s also safe for cats and kittens.
- Kills and deters ticks and fleas
- No harsh chemicals involved
- Acts both as a cleaning and conditioning agent
- Ideal for dogs and cats of all ages
- Restores the shiny appearance of your pet’s fur
- Fragrance is not long-lasting
How to Choose the Best Tick Shampoos for Dogs
Different households face different extents of tick infestations in their dogs or cats.
- That means a product that works for one situation may not be effective for another situation.
- However, with knowledge of some important considerations, it possible to choose the most ideal shampoo for your dogs.
An effective shampoo will effectively clean your dogs, eradicate ticks, and ease the bites’ effects such as itchiness and irritation.
Even better, the shampoo should kill and repel other common parasites like fleas and lice.
If the shampoo kills the eggs and larvae, you have a good chance of eliminating ticks and keeping them at bay for an extended period.
Ticks will not only be found on your pet’s fur but also surfaces. So, when you treat your pet with shampoo, new ticks will later attach themselves to the pet.
Therefore, it’s advisable to choose a product that stays active for a period long enough to kill ticks that keep coming back after its application.
Effect on Skin
Ticks might damage your pet’s skin causing it to be itchy, flaky, and irritating.
- When treated with harsh chemicals or ingredients, they might get worse and bring discomfort to your pet.
- In such instances, it’s recommended to use natural products because they do not contain harsh chemicals that cause itchiness, irritation, or flakiness.
Also, consider products that have a soothing and moisturizing effect of easing the results of the bites.
Effects on Pet Eyes
Some products in the market contain chemical fragrances and artificial dyes that may irritate your pet’s eyes.
This is not only disturbing for your pet, but it also makes it difficult to wash the wriggling pet.
So, you may opt for pet-friendly fragrances such as eucalyptus, lavender, and citrus, among others.
Age of Pet
Puppies have more sensitive skin compared to older dogs. And not all shampoos are meant for dogs of all ages.
Most products come with indications for age limits so that you don’t expose your pets to irritations, itchiness, or skin drying.
Some products are meant for dogs of all ages. Alternatively, you can get different products for adults and puppies.
Dogs are prune to other parasites like fleas and lice apart from ticks. Therefore, getting rid of ticks and other parasites with one product will save you some money.
- A product that is effective on ticks is not necessarily effective on other parasites.
- I recommend a product that is effective on fleas and ticks since they are the most common parasites.
Usually, such products come with labels of the parasites they are meant for.
After reading this guide, I believe you’ll not have difficulty choosing the best tick shampoo for your dogs.
- As you have seen, many of the products are have reviewed are essentially meant to eradicate ticks with little or no adverse effects on your pets.
- These are natural products free from harsh chemicals, which might cause skin irritation or itching on your pets.
Choosing an effective and safe shampoo will help get rid of ticks from your pets.