Bed bugs (the 1/4 inch long and wingless bugs) are not only a problem at home but also in other accommodations. But how do bed bugs spread?
Summary: Bed bugs spread through crawling to new surfaces, hitchhiking people’s clothes and suitcases when the human beings removing and by following uncleaned drainages. Bed bugs crawl on the bed and bite your body, and the bite’s effect could last for 1-2 weeks. They are usually reddish brown and are often mistaken for tiny mites or mites.
How do bed bugs spread?
Bugs are active free-riders who often travel by hitchhiking people’s suitcases, clothes, beds, and other furniture – just like fleas. They can spread from one room to another through crawling – as the bed bugs don’t fly.
In recent years, the increase in adult bedbug and nymphs spread has been attributed to the rise in the rate of international travel and shiting apartments. Bed bugs simply crawl to hitch hike people’s clothes, suitcases, hair and furniture to their new destination.
If you are a traveler who doesn’t want to take the bugs to your home, you need to be proactive before, during, and after the trip.
Bed bugs can also move through uncleaned drainages. Therefore take precaution, and check this article on drain cleaners.
Why do they spread so fast?
Bed bugs are incredibly prolific insects. During its 6 to 12 month lifespan, a female bedbug can produce 500 eggs, and their offspring can reproduce within a month.
Pest management professionals can save money in the early stages of infection and prevent bed bugs from spreading quickly in your home.
Bed bugs also spread through the mattress. Refurbished old mattresses often spread bugs to shops and homes, causing infection. Also, bed bugs can spread when old and new mattresses are shipped together.
Prevent bed bugs from spreading in your bed and house
Prevention is better than cure. Taking precautions against bed bugs is much smaller than getting rid of them after pests. Follow these steps:
1. Seal and repair any cracks outside the home to prevent any insects from entering
2. Use a mattress cover – a plastic or tightly woven mattress cover to prevent bed bugs from crawling in and out
3. Do not buy or pick up any used furniture if possible
4. Clean your house regularly – reduce any unnecessary mess and vacuum mattresses. And finally, undertake beds bug killing in the house where you can use Vacuuming, heat treatment, Ammonia, Rubbing alcohol.
How to prevent bedbugs from spreading as you travel
There are some things you could do to protect yourself from bed bugs while traveling: Educate yourself about bed bugs, so you know what to watch out for.
1. When you pack, pack clothes that can be easily washed in water. Pack disposable gloves, a small flashlight, and a series of garbage bags. You may also want to spray your luggage both in the inside and on the outside.
2. Install insect bed and spring mattress on all beds in the home before you leave.
3. When you arrive in your hotel room, inspect the room for any evidence of pests. Put your luggage and items in the bathtub; these insects are least likely to be hidden here.
4. During your stay, place your luggage on a luggage rack that is at least 4 inches from the wall or on hard furniture such as a desk. If you must put your luggage on the floor, put it in a re-sealable plastic bag. Never put a suitcase or clothing on a bed or upholstered furniture.
5. When you check out, inspect each item and the surface of the suitcase when packing. Seal the suitcase in large plastic bags before placing them in your car.
If you take all precautions and find evidence of these pests, contact a licensed pest control company with pest control expertise.
Being aware of these guidelines about bedbugs will help you prevent the discomfort caused by these insects.