Fleas are common pests with hairy pets like cats and dogs but they can also attack humans. There are over 2000 species and some species also attack humans. This guide on how to get rid of fleas on humans has all you need to know.
- Unlike fury pets, fleas attacking humans like to hide either on the clothing or hair. To get rid of them, you need to wash your hair with anti-fleas products.
- Taking a bath with a flea shampoo will also help. Ultimately, knowing their source and other infested areas will do much good when eliminating them.
Fleas are tiny parasites that will attack and suck human and pet blood. Even before you get hold of these tiny pests, it jumps into hiding.
Details: How to Get Rid Of Fleas on Humans
Fleas are tiny and very fast to jump off when they have been exposed. Because they are parasites, they like to suck blood from their host.
1. Wash the Clothes
Because humans are not hairy as dogs and cats, fleas attacking you will hide either under the hair or clothes.
- If you have confirmed you are attacked by fleas, first, this is to wash your infested clothes. That way you will be able to partially eliminate part of the fleas.
2. Taking a Bath
For the fleas hiding in your hair, you will need a hot shower to get rid of it.
- If you have thick hair or are a heavily bearded guy, it’s going to take you an extra effort to get rid of the fleas.
a. Use a flea shampoo
This works well in killing fleas in your beards and hair. Unfortunately, there is no fleas shampoo for humans so can use dog shampoo.
b. Use dish soap
Dish soap is also a product that you can use to eliminate fleas.
After applying it to your hair give it about 10 minutes before you can wash it off and have a flea’s free hair. It is gentle on your hair but tough on the fleas.
c. A mixture of baking soda, salt, and water
This is a good alternative if you don’t have the fleas shampoo or the dish soap. When using this method, you mix baking soda with salt and water and apply it to your hair for about 10 minutes.
- Though it has a low effective rate, it is more of a homemade solution and will help eliminate the fleas.
- When you are done applying shampoo and dish soap, comb your hair to remove the dead fleas from your head.
If you had used the baking soda mixture, properly wash your head before you can comb the hair to remove the dead fleas.
3. How to Repel Fleas on Humans
After you have successfully removed fleas from your head and hair, you need to take stringent measures to keep the fleas from your body.
- You can use flea repellent sprays to keep off any fleas attack. You can apply this spray both on your clothes and body and it guarantees of anti-fleas environment. These sprays are found in retail.
- For a homemade remedy, you can use a mixture of water and essential oils. With this mixed water with essential oils in the ratios of 90%:10% respectively.
You can use your preferred essential oil like peppermint, tea tree oil, and citronella oil among others.
4. Dealing with the Source
If you do not deal with the source of the fleas infestation chances are you will keep doing one and the same thing over and over.
- If you have fleas in your house and also in your body, try to locate the source and their breeding point.
- Sometimes it could be that pet either a cat or a dog. This is because fleas love furry places.
Once that is done, treat/wash them with the anti-fleas shampoo, dish soap. Once this is done, you can be sure that your house, pet, and you can live a fleas-free life.
Get Rid Of Fleas in Your House
Apart from pets, clothes, and hair, fleas can also hide in other areas of your house. The possible hideouts in the house include curtains, carpets, cushions, beads, seats, and furniture.
- Without clearing this area, you can never be sure of a fleas-free environment. You can use hot water or fleas spray to eliminate them.
Another good alternative is vacuum cleaning.
It works very well to eliminate fleas from carpet and curtains as well under the furniture. Doing it regularly will guarantee a free-flea environment.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where Can Humans Get Fleas From?
The major sources of fleas on humans are pets –cats and dogs.
- Fleas like furry animals and these pets are most likely to bring them to our homes or even to our bodies.
Another source of fleas on humans is visiting areas that are infested. This can be farms or any other house with fleas.
2. What Are The Signs That You Have Fleas?
Though not all fleas bite humans, there are signs that you can tell that fleas have attacked you.
Skin bites marks are the first thing to tell fleas are in your body. They are realized as fleas bite and suck blood from you.
- Constant scratching by your pets. If your dog or cat is constantly scratching, chances are that it has fleas. This also calls on you to check if you have been attacked too.
- Tiny bite on your skin. If you have fleas, you may sometimes experience itchy and tiny bites.
- At some point, you may spot the fleas but other times you may not see them as they are jumpy and very fast.
Feeling tiny and small insects moving in your skin. Fleas like hiding under the clothes and you will feel them as they move from one spot to another.
How Long Does It Take To Get Rid Of Fleas?
This will entirely depend on the method of control that you have used. However, it also needs time to tell the effectiveness of the control.
- Some methods are more effective than others and also take less time.
If you are washing your hair to rid of the fleas, you may need to repeatedly do it until you are satisfied it’s done.
There are many ways on how to get rid of fleas in humans. Pets are the main source of pets and cannot be ignored when you are dealing with fleas.
- They like to hide under the clothes, on the hair, among other areas in your house which must also be dealt with for successful elimination.
Vacuum cleaning, using fleas repellents are among the effective methods to use when eliminating fleas and keeping them away from humans. Most importantly keep a clean environment for a fleas-free home.