Bedbugs and scabies are parasites that’ll bite and prey on humans. So, what are the differences between scabies vs bed bugs?
In summary, bedbugs are ovular light brown parasites that measure about 4 to 5 mm in length and 1.5 to 3 mm in width.
But, scabies are caused by small mites whose bites appear as tiny white dots. Scabies bites cause a red rash (that appear in a line) and Intense itching.
Similarities: Scabies Vs Bed Bugs
Both bedbug bites and scabies bites are itchy.
This is due to presence of two chemicals in their saliva. Anticoagulant that stops blood from clotting and Anesthetic chemicals which leaves a numb feeling preventing the bite from itching for a few seconds.
For scabies mites, the itch is caused by the parasite burrowing through your skin and since it’s under the top layer of your skin, you cannot scratch it away.
Both bites have a similar color. Bedbug and scabies bites range from pink to red colors, and will become darker if you consistently scratch them.
Both scabies and bedbug bites appear in clusters.
Where they bite.The clustering in scabies bites appear like pink dots mottled against the skin. Given that scabies mites attack in groups, the small dots will be many in one location hence appear as clusters. The scabies bites are clustered more together that bed bug bites.
Similarly ,bedbug bites appear in clusters even thou bedbugs don’t purposefully bite in clusters, they only go for exposed parts of our body. Given their size, bedbug bite clusters are further apart.
4. Disease Transmission
Both don’t carry infectious diseases.
Bedbugs feed on one or two people in a single bed for most their lifespan. This also applies to scabies because they spend most of their life in one person.
The infestation is only spread if the individual mite lived on two or more people, it however won’t pass any diseases on.
Related: Does Dryer Kill Bed Bugs
Differences: Scabies Vs Bed Bugs
Bedbug Bites: They are large, and appear as red raised lumps.
Scabies Bites: They are relatively smaller.
Bedbugs bites swell up because as it feeds, it injects saliva that numbs the area so as it can feed undisturbed.
Given their larger bodies, bedbug bites therefore will appear larger. Scabies mites on the other hand, start by laying eggs inside our skin then dig in leaving behind a small dry spot.
The spot is much smaller compared to a bedbug bite however the line that the mite leaves behind is longer.Scabies bites are less raised than bedbug bites, this is due to the histamine that swells the bite.
2. Where they bite.
Scabies bites: scabies mites can affect any part of the body.
Bedbug bites: Bedbugs only bite exposed areas.
Given their small size, scabies mites can crawl almost everywhere without our notice. However, they tend to prefer attack parts with folded skin that tend to become sweaty or damp.
These parts are between fingers and toes, palms, wrists, ankles, armpits, breasts or around the groin.
Bedbugs however are bigger in size and this hinders their mobility, limiting where they can bite us. They therefore only bite exposed areas that mostly are arms and legs.
Bedbugs also bite your side that gets in conduct with the mattress. Bedbugs’ priority is to first feast on the exposed part of your body and won’t explore in search of different places to bite.
- Red, Itchy Bites. You will experience a strong feeling of itchiness ,irritation and scratching them can lead to bleeding.
- Appearance of red welts in zigzag line is also a key sign of their presence.
- Uncomfortable nights could be another sign of bedbug infestation given they are most active at night, when humans are with them sleeping.
- Arms and shoulders which are usually most exposed during the night will have marks – they’ll hide in bed frames, old furniture or crevices and cracks . (forms after prolonged itching and scratching)
- You will smell a strong, unpleasant must odor almost similar to that of a wet towel when get close to the bedbugs.
- Intense itching is the main symptom. It is characterized by the presence of red rash that looks like tiny red bumps on close examination.
- The itchy feeling is more intense in warmer areas like in between your fingers, wrists armpits, breasts among others.
- Scabies bites appear in a line and start to show after two to six weeks after infestation.
3. Where they Breed
Scabies : they burrow into our skin ensuring safety as you can’t scratch or squash them.
Bedbugs: Live inside your bed or bedding.
Bedbugs aren’t able to live on you given they are too big and would easily fall off. Their legs also won’t grip into skin tight enough, leaving them vulnerable.
They therefore stay underneath the mattress or other places within the bedding. Scabies mites are however able to burrow beneath our top skin making it safe because we can’t get easily get them out.
Bedbugs: visible to the naked eye.
Scabies: not easily visible unless using a magnifying object.
Bedbugs are bigger in size and can be seen easily with a naked eye. They however mostly come out at night to feed can rarely be seen during the day unless you look for them.
Scabies mites are extremely small and will require an aid of a microscope to see. Their light coloration makes it very difficult to see them with a naked eye. There nature of burrowing underneath our skin also makes it impossible to see.
5. Length of time to develop symptoms
Scabies bites: first time victims develop a rash and itching 2-6 Weeks after a bite.
Bedbug bite: appears within a day or two.
It takes between two to six weeks for a scabies bite to show for first time victims. It however takes only between two to five days for those who’ve had scabies before.
Bedbug bites take a period of a day or two at most to appear.In some rare cases, they might take a couple of weeks to surface.
Prevention: Bed bugs vs Scabies
– Avoid direct skin-to-skin contact with an infested person. Also refrain from sharing items like beddings and clothing with infested people.
– Ensure clothing and beddings that have come into contact with the infestation must be thoroughly machine washed to get rid it.
– The room of a patient diagnosed with crusted scabies must be vigorously cleaned and vacuumed or steamed .
– Inspect all used couches, bedding or furniture for signs of bed bugs before bringing them inside the house.
– If needed, hire a pest extermination professional or use sprays carefully according to the label directions.