You can’t see them but you can sure feel them. Yes, I am talking about these pesky pests – no see ums – that will happily ruin your pleasant stay at the beach or outdoor activity.
When I first moved into Florida, I experienced unexplained big red welts – definitely nothing close to the mosquito bites. At first, I thought that I was bitten by bed bugs.
Reviews: 9 Best No See Ums Repellents for 2020
Next up is the Avon SSS Bug Guard Picaridin, which is a reliable and strong repellant to exterminate no-seeums, mosquitoes, biting midges, sand flies, and deer ticks.
The Picaridin ingredient takes the place of the traditional DEET (thus its free of DEET). Therefore, you’ll be able to prevent the transmission of Lyme disease and West Nile Virus diseases.
I would consider this Guard Plus Picaridin to be a midrange no se ums and mosquito repellent. Picaridin (being 10 % in this Guard Plus Picaridin) is retrieved from black pepper – thus it doesn’t have dangerous chemicals (it’s also PABA-free too) but its also effective.
No se ums and mosquito have been coming up to the house from a pool of water that’s in my neighbors’ backyard. Our chosen repellent also contains Oliveira and vitamin E. During the warm months, you can now enjoy relaxing in your backyard without disturbance from the bugs.
Avon SSS Bug Guard Picaridin has vitamin E and aloe that act as moisturizers, which will be great for your skin. It also has a great scent that will attract the bugs but also leave your rooms well refreshed.
Repel 94101 40-Percent DEET is a 40% DEET is an effective yet low range solution. Luckily, this product will offer adequate and lasting protection against no see ums, fleas, sand flies, biting flies, ticks, and mosquitoes.
But why not go for the 100% DEET repellents? Well, scientific research shows that repellents with lower levels of DEET are less harmful to human beings and other animals.
The Repel MAX spray with 40% DEET will be safe for you and the surroundings. Despite being small-sized (1 mm – 3 mm long), the female bugs cause major skin irritation from injecting its anticoagulant saliva while sucking blood.
Further, Repel Sportsmen MAX has no strong scent and leaves no grease, and thus will be suitable for both indoor and outdoor application purposes. The repellent will offer you an hour an eight hours guard against DEET no see ums.
No No-See-Um Natural contain reverse osmosis water (93%) geranium rose oil (1%), citronella oil (3%), and lemongrass oil (3%). Interestingly, this repellant will kill all sand flies, also referred (in different regions) to as punkie, biting midge, chitra or granny nipper e.t.c.
For the summer season in your yard or outdoor spaces, Caroline Semerjian invented this repellent that works in a natural way. Its non-irritating and non-greasy created from natural plants extracts.
I noted that the repellent is effective on the bugs, has a great smell (from its essential oils) and leaves no stain on my clothes or skin. Luckily, the repellant is free from paraben, PABA & DEET – which makes it safe for your kids, horses or cats and dogs.
In its great spray form, it’ll be simple to use and can control even biting gnats, black flies, and mosquitoes. Its also approved by EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) for insect control.
The Repel 94100 Sportsmen 30% Deet Wipes will help you repel no see ums, biting flies, chiggers, and mosquitos that could transmit West Nile viruses, Zika, and Chikungunya.
You can wipe your arms, legs, and feet with the wipes to repel all the bugs from biting you. Despite that you can use the DEET Max Insect Repellent in the backyard, the 30% Deet Wipes are favorable when you are away from the house: all vulnerable outdoor spaces.
For example, the wipes will be favorable when you are going camping or mountain climbing where you will not be confined in one location for a long time.
The wipes are easier to use compared to the spray. Also, the wipes will readily it into your backpack or handbag without worrying about contamination with the pesticide.
If you need an outdoor Protection against no see ums, then the Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent will be an excellent product.
The repellent will be suitable to treat clothes and other garments to repel the harmful bugs. You will definitely like the repellent since it is easy to apply and highly effective.
Further, the spray will not leave an odor on your clothes after it has dried. Also, the treatment process will not discolor your clothes as most people could fear.
You will only need to slightly wash the garments with the repellent. Interestingly, one wash will allow you 42 days protection before the next bug treatment.
The repellent is safe or both adults and children. Also, it will last or along time while protecting you against the bugs. However, you will need to dispose of any remainder of the chemical to avoid accidental poisoning.
The Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Repellent will repel ticks, mosquitoes, and no see ums. The spray will repel the bugs for about 6 hours.
As a natural repellent, Repel Lemon Eucalyptus has no DEET and will thus have no side effects related to chemical poisoning.
It is mainly composed of Lemon Eucalyptus, which is safe and has an excellent smell. Notably, you can use it during camping and biking events.
What’s a No See Ums?
First, no see ums are little biting nuts that you can barely see and breed around stagnant water. Many people confuse them with mosquitos but they’re definitely smaller that they can go through clothes and mosquito screens. No see ums bites don’t really hurt but you wake up the next morning with very many and itchy bites.
People think that they’re being bitten, in their sleep, by bed bugs. It’s just like spider bites or poison ivy – the no see ums don’t show right away – it takes some time. Sadly, no see ums will carry disease such as tete virus.
So, No See Ums Repellent is a product designed to stop or control no-see-ums, in addition to other insects like biting gnats, black flies, and mosquitoes from biting people. Luckily, they come with amazing smells and are safe on your skin and pets.
Most No See Ums Repellents are designed to produce a scent that’ll stop no-see-ums from approaching or landing on your skin. You can find the repellents in golf shops, marinas, independent pharmacies, resorts.
What’s in the no see ums repellent?
1. Picaridin – Picaridin is endorsed as a great ingredient for no see ums’ and mosquito repellents. A 20% concentration in the repellent would give you a great balance for minimal side effects vs no see ums protection. In addition, after each application, you can stay protected for about 4 hours.
3. Geranium rose oil – Geranium oil is proven to be an effective ingredient in repellents for no see ums, ticks and lice. Its created from rose geraniums (organic and pure) with the of decongesting skin pores and balance the skin PH.
4. Citronella oil – The next essential oil, Citronella, is extracted from stems and leaves of lemongrass. Lemongrass offers the composites geraniol, eitronellol, and citronellal mainly used in soaps, and perfumes. Its a great ingredinet when use in the no see ums repellent.
5. Lemongrass oil – You can burn some lemongrass oil and try whether it’ll repel the no see ums – that’s the reason why it’s used in these repellents.
What Are the Risks of No See Ums Repellents?
Right away I have to state that any no see um repellent that contains DEET exposes you to a significant amount of health risk or side effects – if not used as directed by EPA.
If absorbed in your skin, DEET can damage your immune and nervous systems – which would cause seizures and nervousness.
Therefore, its important that you mainly consider the product that has natural active ingredients such as Citronella oil or lemongrass oil.
In addition, you must not use DEET combined with sunscreen as the later would increase the rate of DEET absorption. Further, the sunscreen would significantly lose its ability to reflect UV rays.
How do no-see-um and their bites look like?
No see um bites: Similar to mosquitos, it’s the female no-see-ums who will suck blood from human beings. The females inject some saliva under your skin, which causes blood to coalesce near the skin. This results in an itchy red bump – which grows into a (roughly 2 inches’) welt. Here’s how to treat no see ums.
Like I mentioned above, the females will get some damp places such as wet sand or muddy areas, hollow and wet trees where they’d lay their eggs. The eggs hatch and develop to adults after 28 days after which they take flight.
No see um: Also known as sand flies, punkies, biting gnats – these insects (the no see ums) originate from the Ceratopogonidae family and they mainly bite human’s knees downwards. No-See-Ums (known as biting midges) are mainly found in the coastal areas. Like their mosquito counterparts, No-See-Ums prefer moist places as locations to lay the eggs.
On food, male and female No-See-Ums eat sweet juices and nectar. However, females No see ums also suck blood (from human beings, and domestic or wild animals) to enhance the egg production process.
The Entomology and Nematology Department UFS, defines no-see-ums as known as midgies, Ceratopogonidae, punkies, or sand flies and are in Diptera order. Their wings have thick hairs creating coloration patterns that are used to identify their species.
Simply stated, no-see-ums are tiny flies that will bite you painfully but you can barely see them and that will breed around stagnant water.
How to prevent no-see-ums bites
You can eliminate no-see-ums through window screens, special garments, repellents, and CO2 luring and killing.
1. Repellent Sprays: The Entomology and Nematology Department UFS experts state that repellents with DEET can readily repel no-see-ums. Also, according to CDC, you can use Picaridin-based repellents as they are safe and effective compared to DEET. These are the DEET produced no see um control products to help repel the bugs from human beings. Further, you should wear tall socks and long sleeve shirts while also switching on the air conditioner.
2. UV light and CO2 luring: CO2 is used to lure the no-see-ums with a favorable respiration zone. You can attract the insects using carbon dioxide to move to an area that is treated with an insecticide, and thus kill them. CO2 mosquito traps – They release CO2 (an attractant) to attract no see ums just like mosquitoes. When the bugs come near the trap, they’re sucked by the vacuum and are dehydrated to their death.
3. Special garments: To avoid the insects from slipping into your loose clothes and biting you, you’ll need to clad with special no-see-um proof netted clothes. Now, let’s jump into the various repellents that you can use to avoid bites by no-see-um.
4. Small Mesh Screening – These ones act as a physical barrier to entry of No-See-Ums that aim at attacking human beings. The small-mesh screens are known to offer some tighter weave and hence it’s able to stop the tiny bodies no see ums.
There you go I hope you can now make an appropriate choice on the best Repellent for the no-see-ums that have been terrorizing you. However, it would be effective you combine the wipes with any of the other spray repellents. Happy shopping.
- NCBI – Seasonal Abundance of Biting Midges
- No-See-Ums – University of Arizona
- NCBI – The widespread biting midge Culicoides impunctatus
- After the Rain, No-See-Ums You Can See – The New York Times